Chumming

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by uapipefitter, Feb 17, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    howdy catters out there. question,do any of you guys chum? If so, with a holder?, what type of chum?, how long? thanks fella's or gal's i never have. thought it might be a good technique for channels.

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Welcome to the BOC Trent.

I chum sometimes. It is very productive in some of the lakes around here, especially for channel cats. I've used sour corn, sour cottonseed meal, and beef blood. The corn and cottonseed meal are soured in metal cans for a few days then droped in the hole(with a string attached for later removal). I put the blood in cheap Wal-mart brand pantyhose and suspend off bottom. Just a couple methods that I use.

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Howdy catters, i might have posted this already in the wrong spot,...newbie. wanted to know if anybody chums at all? if so, in what,what kind,how long,better locations than others.thanks fella's or gals. thought it might be a good way to get a mess of them in.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, I do chum & feel that it is effective. I usually make my own from the carcasses of bluegills etc., I get the dead shrimp from my buddy @ the bait store, along with sardines & grind it all up together. A little dry catfood seems to help also.

If you are in an area with a lot of current, I would suggest using a chum tube or bag, otherwise it will all get carried away:sad2:

HTH, Elliot

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good morning and welcome to the BOC Trent. I'm a retired fitter myself and just enjoying fishing when I can. I have a 50 lb. bag of the floating catfish food that the co-ops sell. I soak it for at least a few hours up to a day or so before using it. I've only used it while bank fishing with the kids and grandkids and it seems to draw them in with in about 45 mins. I pour about a coffee can in. I have stopped by a lake in the evening at the same time pouring a can in for two days prior to fishing with good results. When I out on the river, I will take scrap pieces of cut bait, cut them into small pieces and chuck them. Have fun out there and again welcome to the BOC. We are all here to learn from each other in our love for fishing.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I bring an xtra bucket of liver, one for chum one for bait.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trent Chumming works great and there are a lot of methods listed in the BOC library. Check them out.:lol:

8. KNOTHEAD

KNOTHEAD New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Soured chicken feed(hen scratch)or corn is what I use most of the time!I use a burlap bag to hold it and hang from a tree in standing timber on the lake!

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use what Knothead mentioned, sour chicken scratch, and just sling it out around where I will be fishing. It can be great in some places. I prefer to use it in very slow to no current. I also have filled up a pair of the misses old panty hose and hang it off of the boat/dock while fishing and it seems to work also.

10. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    any kind of blood i'd imagine would work. just dont waste your money on the chum from like wal-mart or gander mountain. As far as i know they are a waste of your money and arent nearly as effective

11. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've used soured oats, didn't bring in any catfish but it sure brought in the carp.:lol:

12. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks for the ideas fellas,as soon as antartica leaves michigan and takes the ice with her i'll give it a try.thanks trent

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have used soured grain for years, I prefer wheat, because it sinks, I just throw out a couple of scoops and if they aren't biting in 20 minutes or so, I move and do it again. It can be put in a burlap bag and left over night to get them in the area. I now mostly use range cubes from the feed store. I read about using them on this site. They work about as well as soured grain and don't stink up the boat. You can use them the same way, just wait a little longer to fish as they take about 15 minutes to start dissolving. I bait one place and go find another spot to bait. Then go back to the first.

Jim

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i only fish fast moving water on the ohio river but was told frozen chum is best in high current been thinking of ideas to try may have to put them to the test this year
    the first is packing the holes of a concrete block with cut bait and freezing then droping it above were i plan to fish

the other is placeing 3 bricks in a 5 gallon bucket freezing cut bait and a rope in the bucket , then attatching the rope to my ancher and dumping the bucket over the nose to be pulled to the bottom by my ancher

hopefully i wont be waisting time but if i am its still better than tossing that excess bait out for the coyotes

15. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Freezing is a heck of an idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before! Thanks man, it goes on the list of things to try this summer.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Grinded buffalo carcasses and old shad works. I freese them in 1 gal ziplocks. I then put inside burlap bag with some rocks and sink it in hole day before i want to fish. it works, i have not tried it this year but have done that in some different waters.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Trent this may sound odd but the best method for chuming in the small river where I fish for channel cats I have ever used is to take 3 or 4 small shad and put them in a ziplock bag and put the bag in a place where you can let the shad rot for 4 or 5 days.Tie a weight(rock,peice of broken brick ect.)to the bag with string then punch a few small holes in the top of the bag with a ice pick,nail,pocket knife ect. and throw it in the water just up stream from where you're fishing.Now this could be messy cause rotten shad stinks big time so you have to be careful but it does work great and will bring in the channel cats and you can use the string to remove the bag from the water so you don't trash up the place.

18. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I've been having good results lately just scattering out range cubes over an area and waiting a day or two. Tractor Supply sells it in 50lb sacks for about $6.50. Feed stores may be a little cheaper. Be sure and get the cubes that are 20% protein or they may not sink.

19. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    Forgot to say that I have been fishing 5-7 feet of water in the brush. Some fish are heavy with eggs and I expect the spawn to start soon.

20. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have made chum before and it seemed to work really well. i took all of the old stuff out of the fridge (luch meat, cheese, old sausage), dry cat food, canned dog food, chicken livers, and some oatmeal and ground it all up in a blender (which is now mine since my wife felt the need to buy a new one after this event). put it in a five gallon bucket with a couple gallons of water and seal it all up. put it out in the sun for a few days and it should be just right. i like to leave a few large chunks and not blend it into liquid. just seems to work better this way. i use a cup and just toss it out like if i was chummin for carp. works well in slack watr, not so well in current. you could put it in pantyhose or an old laundry sack. dont be afraid to experiment though. there will be some day i will take 6 or 8 diffrent baits with me and rig a rod with a diffrent one. sometimes i doulbe up baits on hooks. jsut fnd out what they like and you will be good to go.