Chumming

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Muleskinner, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    This is another thing that i have never done. I would like to learn more about this also. I have read some post on here about it. I have an idea of how to do it from reading. I was thinking maybe you have your personal twist on making chum that is not posted. Where do you use it? Rivers, lakes,creeks,ponds,? Are maybe all of the above. What is your favorite recioe should I say? Do you use it for all Catfish? What other fresh water fish do you use it for? It sure is nice to be able to ask all of you thee questions. I would like for you all to come back and look at the post. Check out all the answers i get. I have noticed this on several other post on the site. You all do a very good job of helping each other to learn about the sport of Catfishing.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, Dion, there is just as many ways to make chum as there is to cook eggs... and thats a bunch. The whole thing is that a cat is like a living garbage disposal. It has litterly millions of sensory organs on its body... and a very highly sense of smell/taste. That is why blood bait and liver is so good. The trick to chumming is to apply it in an area you know holds catfish. If the fish are in 30 to 40 foot of water, it's not going to do any good to chum in 5 foot of water. You spread it througout the area your gonna fish, come back in half hour or so, and start fishing. Don't put too much of it out as the fish will eat that and not take your bait. Some types of chum (like cottonseed cake) is used to attract the bait fish, while others like fermented milo, is used as a stinky mess to attract the cats. It is simple to fix... you just add water to grain and let it work for a few days.... helps to have 160 acres or so, otherwise you'll have irratated neighbors. May get raided by the sherrif's office also as they'll think your fixing a batch of crack. Do not enclose the mixture in an air tight container until after all the bubbling has stopped... neighbor sealed his up in a gallon pickle jar and put it on his back porch. Yep, it exploded... Lord how it stunk. LOL

If used in lakes/ponds, just broadcast it onto the water. If in a stream, creek or river, you may want to enclose it in some panty-hose or such. It is primarily a catfish attractant, but all fish will respond to it. Cottonseed cake, as mentioned above is good to attract minnow, which in turn attract crappie, bass and catfish.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I love to chum, I chum in lakes and river. Usually a take a 5 gallon bucket drill a bunch of holes in it and tie a rope to it. Fill it with dog food (cat food doesn't work for me). Put it in the water, once it gets soaked shaked the bucket around and it wil release all that stuff that is in dog food. I really like to use it when I am dock fishing. I put it in the water the day before I fish, giving the cats (hopefully the bigger ones) time to get to my hole. It helps bring bream and other bait fish into the area too. Good luck, I hope it draws in some big 'uns.

4. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I chum every time I fish. I use either soured milo or just plain ole range cubes. I think it is the way we succeed. We do what is called running and gunning. We find a spot we think might be good and we broadcast a small coffee can of chum into the water. we slip cork cheese bait over the top of the chum and if we don't catch a keeper within an hour we run to the next spot. We try to give a spot a few trys before we totaly give up on it. If you really get serious about baiting out a spot check your local laws about fishing bone piles in the autum/winter. That is where the fishing can get great!

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I dont chum much, but should do it more. I have a hand crank meat grinder and when I catch mackeral, and bonita I chunk it all out so its easier to use, and then freeze it in zip lock baggies. I use the meat griinder to grind up the rest of the head, bones etc. and then freeze this stuff as chum. I use a plastic spoon about 12" long and fling the stuff out where I want to use it, or put it a plastic wide mouth jar with hole drilled in the sides, with lead in it, and lower it over the side to the depth that I want, and shake it up and down to milk it out some.

I had a friend of my use natural chum over the side of the boat... we were in the ocean and he "up chucked" several times.... Caught one hell of a shark by doing this.... Its best if someone else does this!

"no pictures submitted"

bayrunner ray

6. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never chumed but think I will give it a try.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I replied to your pm if you have anymore questions just ask. If you did not recieve my reply please let me know I have been having some problems for some reason.

8. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    I did get the PM but I think that needs to be made public.So I am going to copy that from the Pm and paste it here. Thanks that was a big help.

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I still consider myself new to the BOC and in my short time here, there have been many posts about chumming. If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you check out the library and do a site search on this topic.