Chumming?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Little Luey, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Can someone please tell me what this "Chumming" is all about?

I am a complete newbie, thank you.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Chumming is like baiting a hole. Used to be a person would take a sack of seed or cottonseed meal, and throw/tie it out in a certain area. As the meal disolved it attracted minnows and small perch, which attracted larger fish, which in turn would hopefully attrack the species you were after. Chummin, as it relates to this board is to spread the god-awfullest stuff you can imagine to attract the catfish to the area your fishing or are planning on fishing. Some of these attractants are a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of milo, soaked in water, and allowed to ferment...takes about three weeks to get a starter, but two or three months is better. LOL. Rumor has it that if this bucket is spilled in your boat or car, you try to sink the boat or wreck the car and file an insurance claim as the smell does not come out. Be carefull, now.

3. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    We've used range cubes for chumming. We get a 50 pound bag at the feed store for like $7 and yeah! they dont stink! We take a big ole coffee can down to our fishin spot and throw the range cubes out as far as we can from shore. Within half an hr, the cubes have begun dissolving and pull the cats closer into shore where we can reach them. If ya can chum on a regular basis, you are sure to have a great fishin spot and can catch some nice size cats just about any time you want! Only downfall is that chummin with range cubes also attracts those half bass fishermen too....you know the ones with the big fancy $35,000 boats that they buy so they can reach the shore from the middle of the lake!:baffle:

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

Ok, what are range cubes? never heard that. See, I did not lie about being a total newbie.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    They are used for livestock feed, They throw 'em out on the range...SEE?

6. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ooooh, thanks very much. I may just try that next time. This is probably done on a slow moving river and/or lake, right?

7. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    i have many ways to chum one is dinner bell chum and that is store bought but you can buy a 50lb of milo and a feed store put it in amny 5 gallon buckets cover wil lwater and pour in some beer and wait a week then put on a air tight cap KEEP OUTSIDE

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Correct, if you are fishing in fast current you can still use them, you just have to put them in a metal container such as a minnow trap, etc. tied onto a rope

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    At the top of the page in the yellow bar is a link to the "BOC Forum Library". It has some drawings of how to make a Chum pot out of 2" pvc pipe. I did the same thing except I made it from 4" pipe. This big one is used for the milo combination. Then I (actually my buddy FuzzFace and I) made a couple more out of 3" pvc sewer pipe. The 3" material has two rows of 5/8" diameter holes would does wonders for the range cubes or dog food, whichever were using. Here is a link you can follow...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1591

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Luey carefull about chumming in AZ and CA along the colorado river cuz dfg will not be very happy about it,, but i have been looking for range cubes to feed the fish, lol, but cant find any around at any of the feed stores near by here in riverside or down around the river, do a google serch on them and youll get some good info on them, cuz there not all alike

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
  12. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    This is way more exspensive but worth it in a pond or lake, preferably (no current). ..... I had a jug of protien supplement (I think it was from GNC, it was the generic brand) It was half used, My wife had stashed under my bench in the garage. Long story short, it was out there for 6 -8 months. I opened it & gave a wiff.....AWGHHH. Anyways, I took it to the pond where I gun for channel cats, threw a few fistfuls out, within 20 minutes both of my rods were constantly bent over. (These results have never happened to me ... so the protien definatly had something to do w/ it). I have used the protien 2 more times on different parts of the pond and got the same results. I dont reccomend paying 20-30$ for a jug of chum, but if you run across someone throwing some out or whatever the case may be ..Its worth the experiment. Good luck ...
    Dave

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What in the world are you gonna do if those catfish start PMS'ing on you?