Chumming

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by IL_CATFISH, Jul 21, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've read some threads on here about chumming. This is an whole new concept to me. I know some of you fellas out there have perfected chumming so how about you lend me a hand. What are the best baits for chumming? What type of terrain have you had the most luck with? Just anything in general will be helpful. Thanks.

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I've went on camping trips on rivers with friends overnight. During the day when we would catch redbreasts, and red eyes then clean them and cook them for the nights supper. We would take the left over scraps from the cleaned fish put them in a small bucket with holes drilled all in it, tie it to something with a rope, find a good cat hole and throw it out there. Also, when I was smaller there was this small pond that was full of channels we fished at a lot. My cousin would take a can of dog food punch a bunch of holes in it and throw that in the hole. Had more luck with the cleaned fish but nevertheless still a method of chumming.

Wheelmobile07

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    It works well (I've heard rumors it may be illigal in some states??? - not sure) there are some good ideas for how to build some good chumm buckets in the BOC library..I think the main thing to remember is you don't want to feed the cats..just get the sent in the area to bring them in and get them in a feeding mode. I haven't chummed for a long while but when I used to I'd use stink bait..if I were going to do it now, I'd use ground up shad.

4. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    IL Cat

There are so many different things you can use to chum with. Basically any type of grain will "sour." Maze/milo, corn, soy beans, wheat, oats, and the list goes on. I personally use hen scratch for my chum....It consists of maze, cracked corn, and some other grains. I take a 5 gal bucket and fill it just a little past the 1/2 way mark, add one can of cheap beer for the fermentation catalyst, and then fill it with water to the 3/4 mark. Do not fill all the way up because the grains will swell up as they take in water. I then put the lid on and check it every day to every other day. It will begin to build up gases and you will have to "burp" the buckets to release the xtra gas. After a couple of days you will have to add some more water as the grains soak it all up. You will want to put this in a sunny/hot place and wait about 2-3 wks before it is ready.....believe me you will know when it is ready.

As far as places to use the chum, I usually fish in the middle of a stump patch in 18-25' of water. I put out a couple of coffe cans full of the chum and fish directly over the baited hole. It usually takes 15-30 minutes to start bringing them in. If no bites after 30 minutes I usually move spots.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will give their imput as well.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great input guys! I dunno if I can wait three weeks to try that out with the souring. Sounds like a sure fire plan. We fish a cooling lake a lot (Newton CIPS). I think any of these methods would bring in hords of channels. Thanks guys.