Chumming?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Heavyhitter063, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Heavyhitter063

Heavyhitter063 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard alot about chumming being effective, but i'm not sure what kind of bait to put in it or what to put it in. I've heard before that holes can be drilled in a empty plastic milk jug, but thats just what one of my buddies have said. Any help appreciated.:confused2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steven Welcome to the BOC, from Illinois. Check out the BOC library for several articles on chumming. I use chicken scratch fermented in liter soda bottles with holes in them. I've also used dry dog food from rural king in onion sacks. I hope this helps.

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    There's tons of ways/recipe's for chumming. Last few years Ive used the commercial one's and had good luck with them. Magic bait makes a dry chum thats hassle free and runs around $4.00/bag around here in Illinois. Any canned or fresh vegetable can be used, meats also. Years ago it was common for people to use canned dog and cat food with some holes punched in the cans and dropped in a hidden spot. One of my favorites and cheap is to mix canned corn and or peas with any type of small or mashed up fish, shad is cheap and easy for me to get. I'll throw about half a butter bowl in as we get setup to fish and usually rechum every hour or so, depends on how the fish are biting. If you know before hand your going to hit a certain spot you can prechum it for several days and really increase your luck. Be sure to check your local laws though, some states forbid chumming. Just use your imagination and experiment. We're planning on trying chopped/ground up asian carp this year. If your chumming in moving water ie:creek or river, you'll have to make the chum stationary by weighting it down somehow. Potatoe /onion sacks work good for this, depending of course on the consistency of your chum. When we set up in our local river's we tie a 2 liter bottle to the chum bag with enough rope so we can retrive the bag and reuse it.The scent trail can travel downstream for a long ways. Blood/blood meal make great chum ingredients too. We've used liver before whole and ground up with good results too.Good Luck and let us know how you do.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steven.

5. Heavyhitter063

Heavyhitter063 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I like to throw range cubes. I also use any left over parts of fish after filleting and or left over cut bait. I run the fish parts and cut bait through a meat grinder. You can put it in a can with holes, a stocking, onion sack, or just throw it out by the handful.

8. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Here's what I use,

Milo
    Garlic salt
    chicken liver
    sugar
    Let it cure for at least a week, smells real bad
    Sometimes if i'm in a hurry I will use a can of tuna in oil & spread it out in the water.

9. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I was thinking about these let overs on our last outing, and had decided to toss them in the area with our lines, but the weather chnaged my plans. I may look for a cheap grinder and mount it to the cleaning table. I hate wasting stuff and I think we have been throwing away valuable chum :smile2: .