Chumming with road kill?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I heard there was a fellow that bank fishes the Big Pee Dee. He keeps a burlap bag with road kill in it in a certain spot he fishes. "They" say he really works on the fish congregating around this chum bag. Talking to someone else, they told me this was a highly illegal practice. Does anyone know the legalities of this issue? I have NO intentions of starting this nasty practice, but I was just curious if anyone else ever heard of this. Stands to reason that it would should work.
    Bill in SC

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've never heard of this and don't know if it legal or not but it seems that the practice would be a sure way of poluting the water with all kinds of bacteria and such that you wouldn't want in the water.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree 100% and that's probably why it stands to reason that it would be illegal. I know I hear all the guys on second shift at the mill near the river talking about how they get off work and go fishin' around his chum sack, and the success stories they have. Apparently the guy replenishes the sack every so often to keep the scent strong and "fresh". Once again it is a mighty nasty practice IF it is true.
    BB in SC

4. Threadkilla

Threadkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard of people hanging dead animals just above the surface of the water to let them rot. Eventually, the maggots would fall into the water, attract bream and such, and then larger predator fish would soon follow.

To each their own I reckon.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would hate to know that as many catfish and bream there are in SC that somone would have to resort to that.LOL Different strokes for Different folks I quess. If had to do that to catch a fish I would just quit fising.

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I do not know the legality of this practice. I doubt that it is illegal. I know that it sure works. I do want to make a comment though regarding the introduction of bacteria from the carcass entering the water. You would not be introducing any foreign bacteria into the water..... it is already there. What is the difference between the carcass hanging from a limb and the animal dying and floating in the water? The is no difference except the flies are working on the carcass above the water and water borne bacteria are digesting the animal in the water. The fish eating the maggots will not absorb anything harmful from the maggots eating the carcass. It sure can attract alot of fine eating bream.

catman george

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

State:
    Texas
    RABIES are to bad in Texas for me to be picking up road kill.

8. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I'm sure it works, but it seems like it's going a little far when most folks can catch enough fish without hauling rotting animals around...

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Never tried it, but I have heard of it. As far as introducing bacteria into the water, it wouldn't cause any more harmful effect than a dead animal naturally falling into the water. This happens often I'm sure.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never tried it i cant see why anyone would have to resort to that though.

11. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    dont know if its legal or not, i would think that it is,fish, turtle, birds and im sure other animals decompose in the water daily, as far as having to resort to that, if you fish from the bank its not as easy to find and catch good fish as from a boat so you do what you have to, guess it depends on how bad you want to catch fish:smile2:

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Just goes to show how dedicated to catfishing some of us are!:smile2: I might have to consider that as thinking outside the box! It's got my wheels spinning on some ideas....I saw AND smelled a skunk carcass on the road today...catfish do like stinky stuff:waaaht:...NAHHHHH!!!!
    I dont think that I could do it!

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think if I wanted to chum an area that I could find something a little less nasty than roadkill to do it with and have similar results.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think Bambu hit the nail on the head. I guess the guy has NO boat. From what I have heard, they have a nice little place cleared out on the bank on their hunting club, at a deep hole. I guess there is a convenience factor being able to drive right up to a spot and always have fish. Still, not MY cup-o-tea.
    BB in SC

15. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read a article once that said in early spring dead frozen cut bait can be very effective because as the water starts to warm up all the fish and animals that have died over the winter and didnt decompose because of the cold water start decomposing. so when the water reaches 50 to 60 degrees the fish are feeding on all the dead fish and animals in the lake. so If it works then I dont see why it wouldnt work all the time. the fish have to eat something because not all of them are catching live bait and living.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's funny, because I have heard independent stories a few times of people fishing around opportunistic "road kill" (naturally occuring dead stuff floating in a river) and doing quite well.

A buddy and I found a dead something or other floating on the North Santee one time and were going to fish around it. After a few minutes the smell drove us away. Just wasn't worth it to us.

17. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if this dude hadn't saved him....

Attached Files:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'd hate to be holding on to that booger when he becomes un-exhausted! :)
    BB in SC

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Where in the world was those pics taken at?

20. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have no clue... a friend of mine sent it to me under the description "catch of the day".

In the email the guy said the deer was totally exhausted and laid there in the boat until they got back to shore. Deer was released and not eaten (yet).:eek:oooh:

later..
    Ron