Chumming Texas waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Longhorns, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm getting back in to cat fishing after a long lay off. I have soured up some maize. Now the question is how much to use, how big an area to distribute it over, how long on average before the kitties come to check it out? I'm typically lake fishing from a kayak although the Colorado River is nearby.

2. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    jon, where in texas do you fish? i have a kayak and have been jug fishing lately. i put sour corn out a couple of times but mostly carp showed up. i'm looking for better water to fish.i've been trying lakes travis and georgetown lately. i think i'll try granger next.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I use soured maise and I put out 2 cans when I first pull up to a spot where I'm anchoring or tying up to a submerged tree. I use regular green bean or corn cans my old lady saves for me. I usually start fishing right at dark and I put out a can every 45-60 minutes when I notice the bite start slowing down.
    Another way I do it is put about 3-4 gallons in a mesh potatoe sack and I put it in the water the night before I go fishing. Either way works great. I'm normally fishing in a lake and I have a few deep holes where I fish at. Works great for me.... I also use it to bring in the hogs which I'll start trapping in the next couple weeks.... Hope this helps....

4. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Shelby has it right on. Just remember not to put to much out you only want to draw the fish in not feed them.

Good Luck.

5. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    try range cubes to. soured wheat is also good if not better, cost a little more.. put out more feed the first time to get em coming, then about a gallon evet 2 hrs. or so.. channels will gourge themselves even when they have filled up. just got back from lake fork and caught 150 channels doing this... remember, u need to be in good cat water. danny kings mixed with premo works great. fish vertical with a slip sinker and treble hook.. this time of year, in lakes, a good depth is 15 to 25 feet...

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Matt, I too catfish from my kayak. On a kayak fishing site that is texas oriented, but I can't name here because of rules against giving the website for other fishing forums, there have been a lot of postings about fishing Lake Bastrop. According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, Bastrop is supposed to have a good catfish population. Long Lake is also supposed to be good, especially around the discharge canal in cooler weather.

I fish from an Old Town Loon 138 sit inside kayak, rigged for four rods, mainly drift with rod and reel. What's your kayak?

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use soured hen scratch close to the boat, and range cubes farther out.

8. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matt,
    I live in Austin and typically fish Decker because it is close although I have fished Granger with some luck. I go out several times a week and Granger is a 90-100 mile round trip for me. Tried Town Lake in Austin this afternoon with no success. Got to be catfish in both Town Lake and Decker but I haven't had much luck. Typically using a slip bobber to keep the bait (liver treated with garlic powder and salt) out of the weeds on the bottom. Maybe I need to rethink the rig in order to fish deeper water. Fifteen feet is about the deepest I have fished. Perhaps I shouldn't rely on the fishfinder and just fish logical structure and call the fish in. Have been warned by others not to feed the fish, just call them in but I seem to have more luck (but not a lot) using larger amounts of chum.

Would enjoy meeting up with you to learn the game. I fish a Prowler 13. Longhorns

9. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matt, if you want to try and get together my email is texas_suppliers@msn.com. I don't have enough posts to PM you.
    Longhorns

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Use this chum by broadcasting the sour grain into the water where you intend to fish. Use it at the rate of 1 quart at least 1/2 hour before dark, then replenish the chum 1 pint at a time whenever the bite starts to slack off. Don't use too much, or the catfish will eat their fill and stop biting.

11. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, 777, but over how large physically an area should the sour grain be spread? An acre, 50ft X 50ft?

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John just try to keep it in the area you are fishing. If you are using one or two poles the 50 x 50 area should work well.

13. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Soured wheat sink and stays in an area better.Milo,maze,corn have a tendency to float off.Put soured grain (wheat,milo,maze,corn) in a burlap bag(tow sack) weight it down.Cats will suck on the bag until its gone or the bag rots.If you want to retrieve sack tie rope and float on bag,move to new hole.Clean fish.:smile2:
    In the late sixties and seventies during off farming seasons Terry county farmers put more soured wheat in the Rio Grande than in graineries.:lol:
    Is lake Decker and lake Long the same lake ?
    Good fishing Guys...Rod

14. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, Decker and Long are one and the same.

15. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    i hjave heared of useing maze and milo said to work well

16. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    Maze, Milo, And A Can Of Beer To Speed Up The Process Works Great. I Also Use Range Cubes If I Don't Have Any Mmb Soured Up. ( Plus They Don't Stink )

17. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    Thanks for the info. I've been learning alot