Chumming shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by raybait1, Sep 7, 2008.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    In the heat of the summer its hard for me to get shad in any numbers. I'm averaging 1 shad per 3 casts. That gets pretty tiring. I had the idea of baiting a hole.

I don't know for sure but I heard somewhere that shad eat about the same things as carp do. I got an empty mayo jar and drilled a bunch of 3/16 holes in it. Attached some mono to the lid for retrieval. Added 4oz of weight and filled it full of bread.

I didn't catch 1 shad after throwing out the chum jar. I did however catch about 20 lbs of carp.

Question is do shad not eat bread? Or did the large number of carp spook the shad from the area? What would you use in the jar to attract the shad? Or is chumming for shad even possible?

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i never heard them any much bait at all much eat alage of the rock and stuff

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shad are plankton eaters. Chumming for them is a waste of time.

catman george

4. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Alot of years back, a friend and I wanted to catch carp and baited a hole with a box of oatmeal...Came back the next morning and the whole area had shad all over it... I don't know if it was just coincidence or not...

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Like George said shad are plankton eaters and it would be hard to chum for them. You can however draw them in with a light after dark.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm not sure what kind of shad your looking for but we run lights at night to catch our bait all the time. They come in and we cast net them up.

We get threadfins , bluebacks herring , hickory shad, and most anything else around.

-Jim-

7. Scatter Shad

Scatter Shad New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Around here in Ohio, we also have good luck with lights. But I get most of my shad down spill ways after a the spill way goes under a bridge or the water gets sent through a tube, it seems that the shad school up at these locations. I also go to the local reisivor and when they are pumping water in i Throw my cast net about 5 foot in front of the jet of water. i come out with at least 15 to 20 good size shad, and thats on a bad night. lol. on One night i had to stop after a few throws cause there is a limit of how many pieces of shad you can have in Ohio. i think it is around 500, i wasn't that close but wow i had alot of shad. lol

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with him. Seen stranger things though.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we run lights at night to catch our bait

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Floyd, I catch mine before daylight around marina dock lights or around bridge pilings, both of which have heavy concentrations of algae. One thing I have noticed is when the moon gets bright they won't come to the lights as good. It can be very hard to catch them on full moon nights. Also, if it gets cold at night the shad will go deep and that can make them hard to catch. One other thing, the size and weight of your net is very important. To get the deep shad you need to use a big heavy net. I throw an 8 ft. (16 ft. dia.) w/3/8 in. mesh. Smaller 1/4 in. mesh won;t sink as fast. sometimes I have to let my net sink as deep as 25 feet to get em'. Hope this helps.