Chumming Shad/Bait Fish

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by catamount311, Oct 20, 2009.

1. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone have any good tactics or recipes for chumming baitfish, is this even possible?

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    good question i don't know the answer but i'll be keeping an eye on this post.hope you get some good info,i'm:big_smile: sure you will.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    are u talkin chummin with or for?

4. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Talking about chumming for them, I've been throwing bread out off my dock early in the morning or right before the sun goes down. Seems to work alright, but last time i was down i struggled to get any netted.

5. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    Get a nylon bag - one that has holes in it - and fill it with dry dog food. I also used this technique when I drift fished. It brings the baitfish in.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dog food will work as well as coffee grounds tossed into the water.

7. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm trying to get baitfish around my dock so i can catch flats and blues, I don't want to create a chum slick so I don't catch anything but dink channels. Do you think this dog food idea will cause me to run into a problem with this. I might put some in some panty hose and see how i fair. Thanks for the idea.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Hmmm.... I think hanging a minnow trap or bait trap or two off your dock would work better,then build a fish box to keep what you want in,sort of a box to hold bait in in the lake, check the traps and put what you want for bait into the holding box and rebait and put the traps back in,you will know exactly what you have for bait when you go. this would work well for bluegill etc. as for shad,i don't think your going to bait them in,have to huunt them down and catch them.

9. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone else heard of chumming with coffee grounds? I'm gonna give it a try, what will it bring in?