Chumming question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by NJ CLAD, Jan 1, 2009.

1. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What are your favorite chums? Do you use different chums for trophy fish?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't chum because it attracts, turtles and trash fish, such as gar. I've never seen a necessity for chumming. BTW: Welcome to the BOC! Lots of fine folks and great info HERE!
    Bill in SC

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use soured corn and milo for eating size blues and channels. It seems to work very well. I have never tried to chum for trophy fish, but I have heard it does not work. Wlecome to the BOC.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use soured chicken scratch or dried dog food. I like to use it a day before I fish, and small amounts to recharge the area the day that I'm fishing.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont chum alot but i do keep all the chicken liver blood and the little bitty pieces you can put on the hook and and use that when i go.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use soured corn and milo

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Horse & Mule... or similar sweet feed....

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can also use soy beans and you dont have to sour it.cotton seed cake works good to but it draws a lot of carp and buffalo.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry. I don't chum but looks like some good answers above.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We have been known to put cut trout or shad in a gunny sack...attach it to the anchor...and let the scent/taste waft downstream in the river to attract blues and channel in the early spring months...when the turtles are yet too lethargic to come a runnin'.

This does work if a guy is going to be anchored for awhile in the same spot.

Chumming while drifting works as well...if a guy will take a meat grinder...and churn out some shad everyonce in awhile.

Dry dogfood...which floats for awhile before it saturates and sinks...is another option when fishing a small body of water such as a pond.

Just rig a minnow shallow on a bobber...less than 6"...and cast it out amongst the floating pieces.

Whether or not the fish are used to this doesn't matter...it's amazing how quickly channel will catch onto the floating food...and once they do...especially the first time...it's a true feeding frenzy! (Don't set your rod down!!! Lol...that's from experience! :wink: )