Chumming question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by twomorrows, Jun 5, 2007.

1. twomorrows

twomorrows New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a question and hope I get some good replies to it. In the past I have used all kinds of things for chumming catfish while rod and reeling from soured maze/milo and crushed corn, to dry dog food in coke bottles with holes drilled in it. I have even used range cubes for cattle and they work really good. But this weekend I heard one and I want to know if anyone else has heard of it, Has anyone heard of using mineral blocks for chumming? My brother-in-law was telling me that they use them on Lake Houston and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of them being used before ????? I could see how it would last for a while he said the large mineral blocks last all day.

2. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I've never heard of this. I thought I was taking things to the extreme, with all the alfalfa and cottonseed cakes I've been acquiring...but mineral blocks? Wow. Let me know if it works!

3. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iv used Cottonseed cake before and it works real good.

4. twomorrows

twomorrows New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies,,, I'm going to give it a try this weekend, but I still have some hen scratch souring just in case. I'll find out what kind he uses and post a report on here after this weekend.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim I'll be looking forward to that report.Willing to try something new that works. Thanks for the headup:cool2::lol::smile2:.

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Ok, I keep hearing about the grain mixures, but what about us "city folk" that dont have the means of getting bulk grain. Is there a way to get this close to home in a BIG city? Or is there somthing that may work better? Any advice would be great.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    its not a mineral block but a deer block. It is sweet with grains mixed in. It high on protien and has some salt in there too

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    try this...get a bucket of chicken at kfc. eat th chicken and put bones in an onion bag tied to a string over th side of th boat. every catfish in the lake will soon be under your boat!!:big_smile::tounge_out:

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    are you serious? I usually have a bucket of KFC went we go catin for dinner, so if we just put them in a bag and use that of chum, are sure about this?

10. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    BIRDSEED!!!
    That is and excellent soured chum.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i would say just throw the bones in the water, thats how we found out about it, but someone will snivel about littering so you should use the bag:smile2:them bones put out as much scent as anything else you put in there:tounge_out:

12. twomorrows

twomorrows New Member

State:
    Texas
    I picked up a 40 lb bag of hen scratch to sour up, only cost $ 7 bucks.

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

Try dry dog or cat food.The cheapest stuff you can buy. Its mostly grain anyway.Mix it with whatever you are using for bait. example: a couple spoonfuls of dip bait.The juice from chicken livers.
    best of luck
    just

14. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    If you dont have access to a feed store, then go to your local GNC an get any weight loss protien shake stuff high in amino acids, its a lil pricy but it works, mix it w/dog/cat food, reg corn, beer, and any bran cereal crumbs, honey an old veggie oil. I use th cheap wal-mart brand 1 gal ice cream tubs, they have lids and handles. ferment that mixture pop holes in that and drop it off th side of your boat or dock, or just throw it out as far as u can in or out of th bucket.

15. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does chumming corn work for cats? Thought that was only for carp.

16. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    soured corn works great for cats, but it will bring in carp too.
    I do not mind carp being around the hole im fishin, i will sometimes have a rod out just for them if not getting too many cats.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Put a few shad in a ziplock bag and let them rot then tie a string and weight to it poke a few small holes in the bag put it in the water.That's the best chum for channels I ever used.

18. wader

wader New Member

State:
    george west texas
    are you sure they were talking about a mineral block?? there are many down here that use the protein blocks for deer or cows.....they put them in a burlap bag to keep the fish from ripping off chunks.....and they sink them....they will normally hold fish for about 3 days..........it is a very good chum....but have never heard of mineral being used that way.

19. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    It's funny that someone should mention birdseed -- I've been fermenting for almost a month a 5 gallon bucket full of white rice, birdseed, oatmeal, 1 can of corn, 2 boulevard unfiltered wheat beers, 1 C of milk and 8 oz of unflavored yogurt. Yes, I really wanted it to ferment! :tounge_out:

After the first few days, I didn't see any fermentation so I threw in two pieces of wheat bread and 1 C of brown sugar. Within two days it was a bubbling mess. However, though that was three weeks ago, it smells pretty strongly of alcohol. I plan on using it this weekend from a private dock that I get access to once per year -- do you guys think this will work? I've also got the standard assortment of cottonseed cake and dehydrated alfalfa pellets.