Chumming question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Nov 30, 2006.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I have whats gonna amount to about 4 or 5 55 gallon barrels of damaged grain. Its what falls through the screens when we clean grain.It'll have weed seeds, sand, rocks, and just plain crud along with the cracked corn. I'm thinking of saving this stuff for chumming next spring but I don't know how to handle it.
    Any help will be appreciated

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

fill the barrels with water add a couple of packets of yeast cover the top of the barrel and set it where it can get some sun. The Library has more detailed info if you want specific information. Good Luck

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Purchase a 55 gallon barrel with a lid if you can. Clean it completely of whatever was previously inside. It's best if it was not a chemical drum. The blue or white plastic drums that dairymen get soap and iodine in are excellent. If it's plastic, use a saber saw and cut out the top.
    Pour this grain into the drum. Fill the drum 3/4 full of water add some yeast or some beer( Dang it pains me to waste good beer:big_smile: . ) then tie a large piece of cheesecloth across the opening to keep out flies. [the idea is to make chum, not grow maggots] Let the contents sour for at least two weeks.
    Use this chum by broadcasting the sour grain into the water where you intend to fish. Use it at the rate of 1 quart at least 1/2 hour before dark, then replenish the chum 1 pint at a time whenever the bite starts to slack off. Don't use too much, or the catfish will eat their fill and stop biting.

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    You don't want to do all 5 barrels at once. That will be a lot of chum. Only do one at a time.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, and when you set it aside and let it start fermenting... don't make an air tight connection. An aquaintnce did that with chum he was making in gallon jars you get pickles in. He had glass and stink all over his back porch. Good thing you don't have to be a rocket scientist to fish. LOL

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'll be fishing rivers here in SE Iowa.
    I am concerned that the current will take it away too quick? Is there someway to hold it in place?
    This stuff is from the bottom of a grain bin that had the floor collapse.
    We clean it and feed the good grain to cows.
    The rest is what I'll be chumming with. No whole kernels of corn.Just lots of chips etc.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if concerned about current, put inside a stocking with large rock at bottom. This will chum with the sent and bring in fish to that one spot. It doesnt hurt to throw the loose grain into current though cuz it will get fish moving up stream to find source, i think. I chum in a good current and have better luck in it. I also think that this will spread it out more and keep the fish hungry so that they just get snacks and not a meal. hopefully the meal is on the end of your hook!

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This works to control how much grain/chum you put into the water flow.. Take a gallon milk jug and poke a few half inch holes on the upper portion and leave the cap off. Fill it with enough rocks to get it to the bottom is all you will need and tie it off. You can control how much goes out by just giving the line on it a few shakes and let it rest. Make up about 3 of them so you are not refilling them all the time out on the water.
    Just becareful of what type of dry cat food you use as chum when you do not have grain. I was wondering why the sea gulls started to gather as the type I used.. Floated.. of all things. The chum buckets did work great, but you don’t want your chum to float is the lesson I learned the hard way!