CHUMMING ON THE CAPE FEAR

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by fishin magician, Aug 6, 2009.

1. fishin magician

fishin magician New Member

State:
    nc
    Just got a question does anyone on here do any chumming when they fish? I have never done it before would like to know how to,what to use, and if there is any benefit by doing it.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    BRAIN from what i read on here it does work ,but i don,t think it would work on the river it,s self ,maybe a creek off the river .Lots of people take corn an soak it in water in a enclosed bucket to sourer then spread it in a area they plan on fishing later .I think it works best for eater size channels

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    never tried it figured the water was moving to fast it may workif you did it in a weighted sack or something if it does let us know and welcome aboard

4. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Never done it ot on the river , but in theory if you could some how keep it sorta consintrated like Randy said , it should work . Let us know if you give it a try , and how you do ...:wink::big_smile:

5. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I heard dog food makes a good chum....never tried on the river since it moves so fast. But the past month it has been slow so it could work???? Doesnt hurt to try right???

6. Mr Madness

Mr Madness New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have tried it 3 or 4 time it brings a lot of gars and bofins. i keep all the old shad from my trips that i do not use and when i get 10 to 20 pounds i will grind them up and bag them in 3 to 5 pound bags and freeze them and when i go fishing i will put them in a fish basket and let them thaw give the basket a shake every 15 to 20 min and they will come the basket will hold the chum together longer. good luck with them big gars i have had them all around the boat and they will eat every bait you have in the water but a pain to catch but they make good bow fishing

7. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i agree with randy....jollyMAN.....and nick...........it may work elsewhere.......i know people that do it......seen the drip poggie oil...........ground up manhaden............chop up bream...................never heard of it making a difference!..............i think the fish on the river feed this time of year on opportunity.............not because theyre attracted to it!:wink:

8. Kit

Kit New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm actually chumming a creek that branches off from the cape fear, out here in Leland. I'll post the results later, if it works for me.

Using 3 cans of cat food, 1gal of corn&water, soaking it in the sun, 1/2gal of ham&water, and 1 can of dog food rigged so that it can drift around in the creek.

So yah! Expect a post in next couple days on whether or not it worked.

9. Kit

Kit New Member

State:
    NC
    Bullheads were EVERYWHERE tonight from that. I also caught a crapload of perch and other bream. 2 little blue cats came from downstream, each weighing in at about 4.

I used the usual chum; Fish, ground into paste.. Dog food and catfood too.