Chumming lines?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by rat fink, Jun 21, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i would like to get some in put on this idea if i use some kinda small cage to hold chum and tied it on a set line of some kind "dosent matter what kind" about 2 or 3 feet above the rig to attract cats do you think will thay take the cage with the chum or the bait swiming around below the chum is going to be fish left overs "from felaying" and dead bait fish ground up abd frosen in to cubs the bate will be blue gill or bull head with the spines cut off

2. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have heard of taking soda bottles and putting your chum or whatever in them, and then drilling several very small holes throughout it and letting it sink in the water depending on how much line you have tied onto it.

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    both seem like good ideas but you would need to add a weight to the popbottle it would float otherwise

4. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Some "Old Timers" around here have been known to tie something DEAD on the same limb they've tied a line to. As the animal rots it attracts maggots that occasionally drop into the water attracting fish. Rotten pieces of dead animal also fall of itno the water as well.:eek:oooh:

There are probably better (read easier) ways of attracting fish to your lines.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

In small water rivers and creeks what I sometimes do is take old frozen shad are freezer burnt meat and bury it on the edge of the water line this seems to attract fish to the area I fish and doesn't "feed" them.

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never heard of burying something on the bank near it...but I can see how that would work.

7. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have tieda dead racoon i found on the side of the road to a tree that is almost falling in to the river that i fish in when i know im not going to bee there for about a week but i never thought about doing that with a line underneath it becouse i alwase cut the thing down before i start to fish " i cant stand the smell fore more than 1/2 an hour

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I like the pop bottle idea?

I think what I'll do is take what ever I want to use and run it through a blender and pour it in the bottle, then freeze it before I'm ready to use it?
    After each trip, just keep adding to it.

If the holes are small enough, it will let out the scent without actually letting out any bait they could fill up on.

I'll try it and let you know how it goes?

Ken

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Well, I didn't have much luck using a pop bottle, but I found a plastic big mouth container with a lid and used it.

I had some cut up fish I had been using and I put them in there along with some left overs and anything else I could think of that would put off an order.

We tried fishing without it first and wasn't having much luck, then I tossed the container in the water and pretty soon we started getting pretty good bites.

We've used it a couple times and we've caught a couple flat head and a couple channel that weighed around 5 pounds.

I don't know if the mix made any difference, but before we were only catching smaller channels that weighed around 1 - 2 pounds.

The first night we used it, we caught a 5 pound flat head, a 14 and 16 pound carp (that was fun).

The second night we used it, we caught 2 five pound flat heads.

The third night, we caught a four pound channel and another big carp.

The fish were all caught on night crawlers.
    I was using cured liver also, but it wasn't doing much good. I had a few bites, but didn't catch anything on it.

They might not seem that big to some of you, but for us, they were pretty good size?

I don't know if the mix had anything to do with it, or we were just lucky, but I'm going to use it some more and see what happens?

I like the big mouth on the bottle because you can put just about anything in there.

Ken

10. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    what chum i use is the bodys of the fish i catch after i felay them i put them trew an old hand crank meat grinder i found in my shed itll handel all sun fish and the bodies of everie thing else but i still havent found aney thing useful to do with the heads of the big fish thow i let the paste sour four 2 3 days then i pour it in to some ice cube trays i bought them espeslie for this ao i dont have some fish flaverd cherry coke then when the hole batch is frosen i put the cubes in a zip top bag and i put it in the freser then when i go fishing i put the bag in the coler when i get there i trow 5 6 in and start fishing i get prty consistent bits from channels and if im going after flats i dont let the mix sour and your getting bites off of left overs ???

11. G-Funk

G-Funk New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For all those who jug...you can fill up a 2 liter bottle half way with cement for weight and then put your coat hangar or whatever you guys use to attatch you line to it...then fill the other half up with some pureed bait...shad, bluegill, perch, and such then freeze it....this attracts the fish to your jug lines....

12. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    now thats an idea

13. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been connecting a perferated water bottle filled with various chum to my jug weights but the idea of combining the weight and the chum container is great since thats one less thing to tangle up. I don't know if the chum containers are helping the jugs but it cannot hurt.

14. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    aney other ideas this is some good stuff hear lets get some more for the library how bout it:big_smile_2:

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    What about one of those Bird Suet feeders lined with a soft mesh to keep the chum in further...

Another though is what you use for a weight... (esp if you totally reset and bring in the weight every time) How about a 3.5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid... Fill the bottom 1/2 with concrete (or 1/4, what ever you like) then drill holes all around the bucket and fill with your favorite chum... or even a few live bait (them banging around could attract fish) and Set it out...

16. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    We take shad and skippies and grind them in a hand crank meat grinder into freezer bags . Then when we go out we put the frozen chum into a minnow trap and drop it , it lasts for several hours and puts off a great line of chum ..

17. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had an intresting result somthing bit trew the line i was using my guess is that the line soaked up enouf chum to smell prity tasty to a gar{or somthing}
    aney ideas on how to prevent this im putting the line trew the cap and tieing a washer to it and glewing it in plase { just like the jug on the other end if it helps}

18. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I tried the corn chum and it worked. Let it set for a while. We put it in a mesh bag which itself was inside a large perch trap....it stinks bad....but it works.

19. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    There's Some Pretty Good Ideas Here

20. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i take a 2liter bottle fill it half full with homemade chum and poke some holes in the bottom seems to work pretty well here in the tusc river