Chumming Legal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Mike Sebranek, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello all, this is my first post. I want to thank everyone on this board, I am an out of water Floridian in Texas. Due to my wife's cousin getting me back into the fishing spirit here I am on the board. :wink: I have a question though. I have read about chumming and was discussing it with friends, Someone told me it is not legal in Texas freshwater. Does anyone have any links to show where it is legal? Or can someone direct me to where I can find this info out? Please help me, I have not caught a fish in 4 months (winter has been very hard for me) and I need all the angles I can get. Thanks in advance.

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Call the Texas Parks and Wildlife office and they will tell you all you want to know about chumming and whatever else you want to know about Texas fishing.
    I have always put chum out every chance I get to go fishing.
    I'm about 99% sure it is ok to chum with certain types of chum.
    I use chicken scratch (soured) and Range cubes the most.
    Where in Texas you at ?

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I meant to tell you, Welcome to the BOC.
    Check out the library, it has lots of good info.
    :big_smile:

4. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am in Lubbock. Thanks for the reply, but that is kind of a problem. I have asked 2 Wardens a question and recieved 2 different answers. So I am not to sure about asking them... Man that is really weird. Ask the Law nd they don't know. Anyways the other question was how many poles can I have in the water at a time. 1 said 100 the other said 2. Go figure.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Take as many as 100 poles brother, I know that for sure.
    Don't ask the game wardens, get a Texas Hunting and fishing book and it will tell you in writing the do's and don'ts.
    :wink:

6. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    I agree with lawncare61 read it yourself in the wildlife code book and keep it around so that if a question comes up you can quickly reference it.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Chumming is legal.

And welcome to the BOC!

8. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Mike,
    The website for tx parks and wildlife is : www.tpwd.state.tx.us
    I went in there and looked but couldn't find n-e thing saying you couldn't, when you think about it it's not much different then putting out 'deer feeders'.
    If you decide to start chumming, what has been working for me is 'soured chicken scratch' just takes a couple of weeks to sour and only 30 minutes to an hour to draw the cats in once you spread it in the water. I just started using it and have gone through 2 1/2 gals since Feb 13th

Rubes

9. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks again, I am finding out that catfishing is more then putting a nightcrawler on the a hook and crossing my fingers. The fish are out thinking me.:angry:

10. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know that is a great idea! I have the book but never thought to keep around, for the just in case times..

11. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. I really should know better, because the guy who questioned it being legal has questioned everything. Hence the pole question and to even having to have a special stamp for trout.

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    chumming is legal in texas. we use range cubes the most. 40% cottonseed works best. if you email texas parks and wildlife and ask for law interpretations they will have a warden in enforcement email you the answer and you can keep it with you.

13. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have shot off the e-mail. Funny thing is my wife is mad at me now, because she said, "Contact the parks and wildlife." Last night and I said I would post here. All the answers are contact the Texas parks and wildlife.:smile2: You ever you all-stock?? If so is it any better then range cubes?

14. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Mike,
    I heard about it on another website but I've yet to try it. I read that you can use it right out of the bag.

Rubes

15. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Just Remember that you can not chum with ant part of a game fish. You can use non game fish like shad to chum with.

16. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hrmm... do you know if sardines are considered game fish?

17. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    They are not a game fish.

18. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok thanks for the info.

19. Mike Sebranek

Mike Sebranek New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just wanted to say thanks to all how have helped me. While waiting for the e-mail reply to this question, I decided to bite the bullet and call. It is legal to chum, but like Coloman said it cannot not be game fish. The person I spoke with also confirmed the use of 100 hooks only. Meaning 100 poles.. hehe Thanks again. And I have to say this is the best website I have found for fishing!! Vacation week here I come!!:big_smile:

20. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Welcome to the BOC. there is a wealth of information here. Both from the postings and the answers you get from all the great people when you post a question. Remember CPR!