Chumming Lake Keystone

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mack5522, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mack5522

mack5522 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was wondering this all day today and thought I would throw it out here and see what yall think...I fish lake Keystone alot and i have noticed if I have alot of shad left no mater how i preserve it I just dont have good luck using it as bait . what if you brought it home ran it threw a old meat grinder and froze it then when you go to the lake next time put a big chunk of it out in a mesh bag attached to you boat as chum ???? if it worked it would be kinda time released as it thawed , any one ever try this , or what do yall think am I just ate up with the fishin bug or is it worth a try:big_smile:

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- I have found that if you freeze the shad they are never as effective as fresh shad is. The freezing process changes the odor or somewhat removes it. I put out 20 jugs early this spring in a known concentration of blue cats. I had 40 hooks in the water and all the jugs were set amongst a large concentration of cats and 2 hours later 1 bait was missing and no hits on the other hooks. All hooks had frozen shad on them. I pulled th jugs and left fishless. I think you are better off grinding the fresh shad and putting them in your bag and THEN start drifting or chumming.

catman

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris, there are several striper guides on skiatook and sooner who do just that.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Let us know how it works:big_smile: