Chumming? is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by whiskerchaser, Aug 9, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Is chumming worth the effort will it really bring channel catfish to my spot so i can catch more? The lake i will be trying this in is about 200 acres and about 30ft in the deepest spot my spot is around 10 feet deep im from the bank and will be using cut bait, danny kings, and chicken liver, garlic cured liver. Thanks guys

P.S. Any good chum recipes please post them thank you.

2. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

Also hey guys do u have any tips to carry it cuz the fishin hole is about 40 miles away and dont want the car to stink to bad lol.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can train catfsih in a short amount of time by feeding the same time everyday.
    Chumming does work.
    I've caught many fish off of chummed holes that were full of my chum.

You can use any type of grain from sorghum to corn to wheat.
    I primarily use corn.
    I fill a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full with whole uncracked corn.
    Pour a beer over it and fill to the top with water and let it sit in the sun until it becomes soft.

I'll chum several holes out of that bucket with a scoop or two.
    If you over chum you'll have fed the fish and lessen the bite.
    The key is to have chum there enough for them to know that there is food there.

4. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree draw them in, and catch some dinner:big_smile:

5. catfish nick

catfish nick New Member

State:
    south jersey
    dude its simple...go buy a can of catfood or dog food bring a screwdriver wen u get to ur honey hole stab the can a few times put some line threw it and let all the oil come out...thats what i do it works pretty decent

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Just make sure it is legal where you live before doing it. Some places it's not legal and the rangers will smack you with a pretty hefty fine if you're caught doing it. the only chumming I do it tossing the "spare parts" of my bait fish into the lake, or draining some of the juice off the top of the liver if that's what I'm using for the night. Takes a while, but if you are gonna be there for a significant amount of time it does draw in some fish looking for a free meal.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would not chum, I would just try to catch em the natural way.