Chumming in the river

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by iceman, May 31, 2007.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I love to catfish using limb lines as well as rod and reels. i would like to get some input on a chumming idea i have. i want to take a three inch pvc pipe about twelve feet long and cap one end. cut a five gallon bucket down to about eight inches high. put the pipe in the bucket and cement it in. drill about four or five holes in the pipe at the bottom just above the cement. drill the top of the pipe to make a handle. go just up river from where you want to fish and put this under a limb by the bank and tie the top string to the limb so it cant tip. use small containers such as dixie cups and fill with cheap canned dogfood, ground fish guts, or what ever you have. freeze and when ready drop five or six in the tube. the current should slowly let the chum come out the holes and chum the water. think it will work???

GARY

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    sounds good! If it doesn't work, i don't know what will!

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im sure that would work bro. ,any stink in the water will startum up. i often thought about a chum bag tied to my anchor. its illegal in indiana so i never have tried it. i follow all the rules on the water. :roll_eyes:

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's my understanding that chumming is not illegal in Indiana. I'm flipping through the regulations right now (I always keep one at my desk at work) and I don't see chumming mentioned anywhere.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A three inch pvc pipe twelve feet long can hold a lot of dog food. The idea might work. Do you plan on leaving it out or retriveing each trip? Keep us posted.

6. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Mickey, I plan to keep them out and out of site. Prob. feed on the weekends when i'm setlining

7. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    that seems to be a great idea i fish from the bank i thought about taking a piece of pvc about three foot and a long rope to get the chum out about where i can cast up stream ofcourse.