Chumming in Kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by kingdawes, Aug 10, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is it legal to chum in kentucky?

2. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I guess also I should ask about blue gill trapping? I read some of the kentucky laws on it and I am no lawyer but I think that it's ok for blue gill right?

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris, I'm not sure on the Ky laws for chumming, but as far as I know trapping gills is legal as long as the trap dimensions and size of the hole meet the state requirements. Vern

4. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    from what i read u can chum as long as it is not for trout. this law varies by lake so u need to ask the local warden in ur district

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    chumming for catfish is legal in ky. as far as the law in ky. is regarding catfish i believe you can take them with any method other than explosives and i am not even sure you cant do that in some places :smile:

6. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    tnt there's an idea. That'd add a little and take little fun out of the whole thing huh!

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    This is from KY. fishing regulations-
    Live bait may be taken with the following gear:

Dip Nets: Maximum size of 3 feet in diameter is legal in the Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi rivers, Cumberland River below Barkley Dam, Kentucky River below Lock No. 14, and all lakes having 1,000 or more surface acres.

Minnow Traps: Maximum legal size statewide: 3 feet long, 18 inches in diameter, 1-inch openings for catching.

Seines: Maximum legal size statewide: 10 feet long, 4 feet deep, 1/4-inch mesh. Maximum legal size in the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and Kentucky and Barkley lakes: 30 feet long, 6 feet deep and 1/4-inch bar mesh.

Sport Cast Nets: Maximum sport cast net size is 20 feet in diameter with maximum 1-inch bar mesh statewide except in the following waters. Sport cast nets prohibited in: 1)lakes having fewer than 500 surface acres, 2) any of the streams and tailwaters listed in the KDFWR “Kentucky Trout Waters” section of this guide, 3) tributaries of the Cumberland River between Wolf Creek Dam and the Tennessee state line except Crocus and Marrowbone creeks where sport cast mesh size must be made of 1-inch bar mesh only, 4) from the mouth of Crocus Creek upstream for 50 yards.

All sport fish incidentally taken while capturing live bait with seines, dip nets or cast nets must be released immediately and unharmed into the water.