Chumming in Illinois

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by IL_CATFISH, Aug 1, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys, is it legal to chum in IL?

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Yes it's legal. You can buy chum bags at some bait shops or make your own. Don't get carried away with the details.

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was going to say the same as Jim. If you search the BOC, you can find some good chumming ideas. From dog food to ground fish and liver. Good luck.

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys. So do you just usually chum a hole for a while and if its not productive do you move on?

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Funny you should bring this up, I bought a bag of chicken feed yesterday and borrowed a beer from one of my buddies who had one, (I don't drink), and plan to start up a 5 gallon bucket of chum this week. I plan to put some of the feed in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it partially with water, put the beer in and let it ferment a week or 2, then I plan to chum away with it. Maybe if I get the catfish drunk, they will bite.:big_smile:

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ryan, my understanding is that the longer you chum, the better it works. Some chum for days.

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL, tell you wife your bringin home a drunk ole pussy cat tonight :lol:.

I pretty much planned making the same mix except I am gonna blend some livers and shad/sardines and add them to the mix. Should be tasty.

8. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    You got it. Use for bait what you are chuming with if possible.
    If not use bait of choice. Cut bait, dip bait, worms, etc. We used to use rotten clam meat in hose for chum.

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    What i have did a few time is take a 5 gallon bucket fill it with chopped flying carps and shad,punch a bunch of holes in it, put a lid on it a couple of big rocks in it and throw it over the side of the boat where I'm fishing. I have even tied my line on to the bucket with a rubber band. Some times it works some times it dose not. However It cant hurt anything.

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I think it enhances an area when they are biting but if they are not biting, it won't help much.

11. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have never tried chumming, but i have freinds that do it and say it works well. I no they put it out the week before they are going to fish and they use bags of corn but i dont no if they mix any thing with it or not...