Chumming for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catboy210, Oct 21, 2006.

1. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    any tips when ever i chum will dead shad it brings in flatheads, but then gar come in a steal my bait any ideas

2. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    come one does anyone have a idea for flatheads

3. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    go fishing for gar first with rope lures & keep the gar in a tank or buckets
    then go for the flatheads

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Since flatheads are ambush preditors, I would say short term chumming for them would be a waste of time. Now with that being said, long term baiting of a hole would bring in more baitfish hence bringing in the flatheads.

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Never Heard Of Chumming For Flatheads! Have You Ever Seen Results?

6. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    if you use choped up shad some cats will show up but so will fish that you dont what there

7. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    I have been fishing for flats, channels and crappies for 30 sum odd years and have talked to many a fisherman and chumming for flats is not something that will be on the top of the list for catching flats. Channels...definitely. Think you might be urinating up a rope but if you do try it and find it successful i hope you would share your experience. As one poster indicated, chumming would bring in your bait fish more readily and over time would be a prey source for the the big cats.

happy fishing,

drifter

8. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Long term chumming with say grain or sweet feed (horse feed pellets) might work around stumpy channel drops. This would concentrate the smaller cats and bait fish that the Flatheads perfer.