Chumming for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wvcatfisherman, Aug 3, 2009.

1. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Would chumming for flatheads work? If so what would you use for chum to get them in?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    in a lake yes, it brings in alot off bait fish, but more than likly you will get huge channels

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    chum for flatheads = rod and reel fishing with light tackle and gills for bait:tounge_out:

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe it would work, but you would want to chum for the baitfish which would attract the flats. I think you would need to do this in an area that is not far from where the flats would already be though. I have also heard of people putting bluegills a couple inches under a balloon to try to attract flats with the splashing of the bait fish.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im sure if you did the beaning method it would work. Because channels, gills, bullhead, pretty much anything that swims will be feeding there and they are all on the flathead menu

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that sounds like how we shark fish, wouldnt that be something to see a 50 pound flathead go Great White Shark on a gill near the surface of the water:big_smile:

7. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What is the beaning method?:confused2:

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :roll_eyes:never thought of trying to chum for flats i know people that chum for channels so it might work

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sure it would work in lakes and light current . If fishing a river with swift current you could rig your chum in a jug or pvc pipe tied to a rope .

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Huge channels...Im game!!:big_smile:

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The beaning method is chumming with soybeans that are soaked in water for a couple days..

12. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Anything stinky attracts bait and bait attracts the BIG fish, channels and flatties. I tried chumming a while back on a lake and it produced excellent results with bringing in the bait, I was catching bluegill bigger than my hand, might as well have been a crappie. We all know that flatties love bluegill and perch.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN' !!!:cool2:

13. KenMann

KenMann New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I once read where the old timers would hang a small dead animal over the docks in the farm ponds to attract the fish once the maggots started to fall into the water. Sounds like roadkill in an overhanging branch a few days prior to an outing would do the trick.

14. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    yes that would kick ass:cool2:

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Best thing to do is try. It probably won't directly lure flathead, but it should bring in baitfish, which could in turn bring in flatties. But yeah i agree it may result in a lot of nuisance channels. Either way, chumming would be a good opportunity to catch bait even while you're catfishing. Bring the light stuff and catch some bait!

16. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    From what I understand about flathead feeding habits, I can't think of an effective way to do it. If you chum in the bait fish, then your bait is just one in a hundred in a small area. I don't know if I like those odds. Also, flatheads are territorial. You you probably wouldn't get many to come into a small area at the same time.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I never thought about it before.Now that I have,I think I,d just be chumming for the guys downstream of me.I don,t know if it would actually work,but I do know I,d be pissed if I was doing the chumming and they were doin the catching.Maybe that,s why I,ve never tried it!:wink:

18. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ive tried this a couple of time just for laughs. I took left over shad i had and run them through and old blender i picked up at the good will. Poured them into a gallon milk jug and froze it. Cut a few slits in it and chucked it over. Seemed to work but mostly for blues and channels.

Ive also fished around croker sacks full of dog food rex golden nugget works best and even tried cotton seed cakes. there is no telling what you will catch but it works. These arent specific for flatties but work pretty good for drawing in fish whent the bite is off if you dont mind blues and channels and just about anything else. This method works best down here fishing for mullet. then catch a few and use them for cut bait or if you can throw a net and catch some finger mullet use the whole live for the big boys.

19. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    I cant verify that it works, but the day I did it I caught a 12 and 15 pound flatty.

Here goes...I own a bar/restaurant and we have wing night every thursday. We go through normally about 5 cases of wings. Each 40 pound case contains a good bit of blood and I put it in a 2 gallon bucket. I through bout half a gallon out every 30 minutes for 2 hours prior to when I started fishing off my docks. The bite was on early but like I said it could be a fluke but the blood was free and it would have been thrown away anyhow. I thought about bathing my bluegils in it before casting them...LOL

20. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We tryed it one time with about twenty pounds of frozen fish parts, left over from springtime crappie season. ruined our old catfishing hole for the rest of the year,,,only thing you could catch there was carp, every time your bait hit the water.