Chumming for Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lawnman61, Feb 18, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Does everyone use chum before going fishing on their favorite spots ?
    A friend of mine and I use chicken scratch thats been sitting in the sun for a few days or until it smells just ripe enough that it will make you want to loose your cookies. Anyother ideas ?

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hello !!! Is Anyone Reading Today

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lawnman, never tried it myself, Im not sure its legal here, Im pretty sure its not. You all have any better luck when you chum? Have never tried it thought about it but dont wanna get in trouble and dont think its worth it.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Yes, we do it here all the time and have pretty good luck with it. It is legal here in certain lakes.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea I have heard of people using it mostly in lakes. I think its a lot harder in rivers but I wouldnt mind tryin it sometime. Dont wanna be around the smell though from what I hear. LOL Id give it a try though

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Started using GameFish Chow last year, and been having some interesting results with it. Getting ready to try it more in the next few months as I found a local supplier. All I do is put it in a 5g bucket, fill with water and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then spoon/spod it out.
    Will

7. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It would probably work ok in lakes, ponds and small rivers or creeks. Probably not real good in a larger river with alot of current.

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    It probably would work in rivers and streams if you put it in a bucket with holes and just hung it overboard only if it wasn't to swift. The smell would travle downstream and bring them to you.

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Last year when we went camping, I noticed the folks camping on the other side of the river from us had a 5 gallon bucket they threw in the river and tied it off to the bank. At the time, I didn't know there was any such thing as chumming, so I thought it was some sort of bait bucket.:rolleyes:

Well, later that night, I was fishing just a little ways up from them, and saw they had a nice fire going on the bank, and were pulling in fish after fish after fish after fish...well, you get the idea. I realized much later that the bucket must have been chum, and that it seemed well worth it for them.;)

This year, I intend to give it a try.:cool:

BTW, the river was pretty lazy around that time.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Chumming is a great way to put lot's of eating sized channels in the boat, also keeps the kids busy!!

I use soured chicken for my chum and it works great out on the lakes. Now when I fish the river and I want chum I fill my mesh minnow trap up with 20% range cubes and then lower it to the bottom. I don't believe it has quit the "punch" as soured grain, but it does work very well. I've also used them with great success on the lakes, but prefer the soured grain. The higher protein cubes (20%+) sink better than the low protein cubes so those are the ones you want if your hand spreading them on still water. Don't think it would matter if you keep them in a fishbasket or minnow trap hanging from the boat. 10 pounds is the largest fish I've caught over chum.

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I agree, Grain chum works best. I have used the range cubes before too.
    I think the biggest cat I caught with the soured grain is about 13lbs.

12. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    This may be more help in my head that anything else, but I will use really cheap canned cat food. You can get the big cans at Wally's for somewhere around a quarter. Like the others have said, the current can't be very strong. I usually try tuna flavor or "ocean grill" or any "fishy" flavor. I haven't had a negative experience with this trick so maybe there is something to it. Just scoop a couple of fingers full and toss it overboard occasionally.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I chum primarily with chicken livers. I'll mash it up into tiny bits and then toss it out into the reservoir. then I'll toss out half a liver with a sharp treble hook in the middle of it. Then I take my other rod and try to catch anything else thats swimming by (usually crappies) until the cats show up. then i switch totally to catching the channel cats. I wonder how a can of tuna (packed in water) would do?

14. LilJCR3

LilJCR3 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I live on lake monticello, and use 5 gal. buckets filled with range cubes(cow feed). I drill a lot of 3/8 holes in the buckets and sink them. The feed will turn to mush and seep through the holes. I dont know really how well it works yet but i've been catching some pretty nice blues.

15. LilJCR3

LilJCR3 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most of my fishing is done from the bank and piers, we have about 4 piers on this lake so I dont have a boat, but i have been looking into buying a slightly used boat(pontoon) for the family and fishing of coarse. Any suggestions on what size boat and motor?

16. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I used to chum before I found out it was illegal to chum in Minnesota. I would use a blender and blend up a concoction of fathead minnows, beef blood, and fish flavored catfood. I would freeze it in the plastic 32 oz soda fountain cups that you get at the convenience store. I would ice several of them down in a cooler when I went fishing. I bought a chum pot off the internet and would put the frozen chum block in the pot and hang it off the front of the boat in the current. I only did it a couple of times and from my results I couldn't tell if it helped or not.
    If you do chum I don't think you should plan on instant success, rather I think it needs to go on a while to get them to your location. I do know that my frozen chum was releasing food into the river because as it melted and floated downstream I could see the chum slick on my Garmin fish locator. Like I said, I had to stop doing it because I found out from the DNR that chumming is not legal in Minnesota.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've heard of that, my grandfather used to use canned dog food and mix it with canned catfood and cream corn. It worked pretty good after about an hour or so. My grandfather was a good catfisherman and would have loved this BOC website, but he passed away about 10yrs ago. I learned alot of fishing technique from him.
    Thanks for all the other info for chumming ideas.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I remember watching some guys chumming on the SciFi channel. Grrr, no way I want to even be close to what they were bringing up.

20. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    it's illegal to use corn for bait in louisiana. we use soured cotton seed meal. a fifty pound sack at the co-op is just a few bucks. we put it in buckets and add water, then let it sit in the sun for a couple days. works real good in the lakes and backwater. mostly small eatin size cats.