Chumming for Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bhunt, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I would like to chum a few holes for a young boy who loves to catch cats. I have a boat and i fish lakes with no current. Do i need to bait the holes all the time even if im not fishing that day? If so how many times a week should I bait them? It doesnt matter how big the cats are he just loves to catch them. I live close to a lake and I am a paramedic and I work 24hours and than im of for 48 hours so putting out bait all the time isnt going to be very hard. Thanks for any help.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    bhunt,

It depends on how you are chumming, and what you are chumming with. I would suggest placing your chum in pantyhose, then in a 5 gal bucket with holes in it. It will last longer, and continue to bring in the bait fish. With this method, it would be trial and error. Go retrieve your bucket every so often to see if it still has chum in it, if not, add to it

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i would try range cubes its easy and cheap. i would take a sack out once a week and spread it out in the area he is going to fish. useing range cubes you dont have to let the sour just cut the bag and dump them you can get them from just about any feed store.

4. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    I just had the opportunity to bank fish with a group of guys that target buffalo. They threw out range cubes by the 50 lb bag. They also used a homemade dough bait that is made from (I'm guessing) range cubes. While we didn't score on any big cats that day (we did on the buffs though) they have been reporting some nice blue cat catches in the cold weather lately fishing the 'cubes. One more advantage of range cubes: they're dry, easy to transport, and won' t ruin your vehicle if they spill!

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have a friend who takes a metal cloth 3/8" and makes a tube out of it. the places a partially frozen chum cube inside with several lively minnow/baitfish. He weights it down and sets it at the level he desires. The fish keep the chum flowing and the feeding sounds seem to help. He freezes his chum blocks in old buckets and keeps several in a cooler. Seemed to work well. I have used shrimp pellets and Purina fish chow with good success. The fish chow is fairly cheap and often what they were fed at the hatchery.

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    The more often you chum, the better. I do my best when I've chummed at least 4 days consecutive in the same hole. The bite really picks up after that 4th day. If you keep chumming from then on, the bite continues until you stop chumming, then it's back to normal after a week. Good luck and God bless.

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have heard of range cubes. I have heard people use fish baskets and fill them with range cubes and put them just off the bottom. Thanks for the info I will give them a try.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have always wonder about that, because catfish are just like sharks. But never actually tried it

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I've never chummed, I do how ever bait up a looper rig, cast it, and reel it back in at a decent rate of speed. I'll cast out in a fan patern to get the scent into the water, but only in the spring(I don't consider it chumming). By summer, I have a good idea where the fish are in about 3 different lakes, but that is due to examining structure when the water is low.

I'm sure chumming would help, but what if you aren't able to get out there for a few weeks due to injury or illness??? I hate to say it, but then the little guy would have to learn how to fish.

Ray

10. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    QUOTE: I'm sure chumming would help, but what if you aren't able to get out there for a few weeks due to injury or illness??? I hate to say it, but then the little guy would have to learn how to fish.

I agree to a point. But we are talking about getting kids hooked on the sport, so I think chumming for a little while will not hurt. Then as he/she gets proficient, then take them fishing without the "baited holes". You have to remember that most kids have the attention span of a knat when their young & if their not catching their bored and ready to quit. After their "hooked" on fishing then it's time to start really teaching them about fishing & not "just catching". JMO .02 worth.:)

Most kids are not ready for the "fishless days" and will not stay interested when first getting started. I know that bhunt said the kid "loves catching cats", but I just want to keep them that way so they can learn to be good fisherman and stewards of the waterways & land.

Frank

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I can agree that kids have a short attention span and that no catches will dull their desire, however I am concerned at the direction hunting and fishing is going. We bait nearly everything now days. It seems like patience is being pushed aside for quick gratification. I can remember spending hours waiting along a shoreline. I complained to my grandfather that it was boring and taking to long. He looked at me with a gleem in his eyes and said, "Son this is how one learns patience, learn it now or fight with it for the rest of your life." I did learn it and the down time give one a time to reflect on the more important things.

If the kids get really bored, find some gills/crappie. That will sate their need for action.

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Id say range cubes have to be one of the best types of chum there is tell you leave a sack in ur boat and it rains turns to mush.

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Kspor, you bring up some good points. I guess I just love seeing kids fishing and having a great time. I have a real soft spot for kids and try to make sure they enjoy themselves. I always thought that if their having fun fishing/camping/hunting or what ever outdoor sport your enjoying with them we stand a better chance of keeping them out of trouble, etc. There is definately nothing wrong with helping them to "learn to fish" vs fishing a "sure thing" as Rainman4u2 said!

Frank

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I love the range cube idea. Gonna have to try that.

That being said, As far as baiting for fish for the kids. I say go for it. What is the difference in that and putting training wheels on bikes. I am sure Lance Armstrong had training wheels on his first bike. Children are in need of help and soon they will not want our help. Hopefully we can get the good stuff in their heads before they shut out the "old people".

15. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Not a thing wrong with chumming for catfish where it's legal. NOTHING. If it's within the parameters of the law, we are to Obey the Law of the Land. God bless.

16. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have used range cubes for several years and am not really as sold on them as some of you. First you have to get the right range cubes there are several types and you want to get the ones with the highest protein content. I believe it will be around 28% or more but can't remember right now. They are about the size and shape of a hotdog but shorter and hard. The dissolve in the water slowly and would be great if they attracted catfish worth a hoot. They do attract carp but from my experience the carp are more interested in the range cubes than anything I have ever put down there by them. I use them off our dock and you can see the carp down there sucking up the stuff that has flaked off the hard cube. I have never seen a catfish around the cubes, they may be there but the carp are 100 to 1. What I use and suggest for chumming is go to your local feed store and ask for catfish food. They should carry several different types but they all float, I have asked and they say they don't make any that sink. So, what we do is get a burlap bag (gunny sack) and put some in it with a brick and hang it off the dock. Now that flat attracts catfish and shad by the hundreds but they all seem to be small. That's OK, small attracts big and big attracts huge and I'm OK with that around my dock. Another thing I've been known to do when I'm going to be fishing from a boat is scoop up road kill and put it in a gunny sack weighted down and drop it off in a hole and come back later, even several days later. I have a rope and jug on the sack and I leave the jug about 3 feet under water so if your not looking for it you won't see it like you would if it was floating on top of the water. Smaller dish soap jugs are good as they are small, sometimes clear and have a shape that allows a rope to stay on it. Retrieve with a broom stick with a nail in the end of it bent over to snag the rope. You get some interesting looks from people when your scooping road kill so be prepared, but you can always reach out and touch it with your middle finger and then stick your index finger in your mouth and roll your eyes around like you just had a taste of heaven. If you should attempt to do this CONCENTRATE on which finger you did what with BEFORE putting anything in your mouth.lol

17. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    LOL!!!!!!!! Now that's funny right there. I can only imagine the looks of the passerby's. LOL!!!!!!!!! Range Cubes work okay, but Soured Grain would be your best bet. God bless.

18. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    This may be a dum question but how do they get the food out of a burlap or tow sack?

19. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Particles dissipate out of the tow sack and smaller fish will be attracted to the area and the catfish will gorge themselves on the baitfish and hang around the scent from the chum. God bless.

20. phatcat

phatcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anybody tried the brick biats sold at the sporting goods stores. PHATCAT