Chumming for Catfish!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead willie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been all over these threads and it recently occured to me that I hadn't seen anything about Chumming for cats. I've been doing it for years, ever since an old farmer told me about it and it really works for me. Of course, it's the same principal they use for Bluefish, Sharks, and many other salt water fish. I generaly use cat food (fish flavor) but I've also used dog food, ground up mullet or some other "junk" fish. It sometimes brings in turtles but who cares as long as it brings in catfish. Fishing from the bank I just scatter some around once an hour or so but from a boat, I freeze it, put it in mesh bags,(onion bags) and lower it to the bottom on a nylon line. As it thaws it puts off scent. Just shake it once in awhile and it puts out more.
    Has anyone else tried this method?:0a36:

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There are some threads on here somewhere about using soured grains for chumming. I think it goes something like this. Take a 5 gallon bucket fill almost to the top with corn or other grain, fill with water so that it is an inch or so above the grain, let sit til you can't stand the smell usually a couple of weeks, then it should be done. I have seen recipies for this using sugar or beer as a catalyst to kick start the fermentation. I personally haven't tried it, but there are brothers on here that swear by it.

TA2D

Aaron

3. kbrad

kbrad New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have chummed before and don't see a problem with it at all. I have used cat food, dog food, and even catfish pellets (food) in a closed off can with holes so that it really agitates the fish into eating everything in the near proximity. I also chum for other fish as well. Here in san angelo, texas where I fish the waters are so pressured that is about your best way to bring in some fish.

So here is to you my chumming brother (raising my beer!)

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have tried the catfood in a plastic bucket with holes drilled in it. I only fill the bucket up half way with the catfood because the water makes it sweel to twice it's size. I put a pound of weight in it and send it to the bottom. This sends the sent into the water and not the food. I just started this year with this techniqe and I don't know if chumming catfood works or not. Have you guys noticed that the catfood works?

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use it to feed my pond and they love it.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I use range cubes, but in all honesty, I haven't noticed that they help. Could be because I only fish big rivers, in the areas around wingdikes. The current could be taking the smell downstream to quickly and deluting it.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Soured grain user here, I like "chicken scratch" for chum. TA2D has it about right, fill your bucket about 2/3's full of grain and then cover with an inch or 2 of water. Check it the next day, the grain will have swelled and filled the bucket and the grain on top may not be covered with water.........add water till it's covered. Don't believe there's such a thing as "over soured" grain, I'm using some of last years grain and it is ripe. If the person your fishing with pukes when you open the chum bucket, they are not worthy partner material:)

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    AMEN
    Of course, anyone who is in the boat with me has already proven they can handle my smell when out catfishing all night. LOL

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    By the end of the summer I don't make many new friends, sorta got an odor about me;)

10. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Of course they are worthy partners; they are simply providing fresh chum, providing they puke over the side and not in the boat!;)

Have a nice day.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lol, i once fergot about a 5 gallon bucket of soured grain, hmm fer bout 2 years i guess. got ready to sell house n move and found the bucket. not only was it sour, but it looked like it turned to crude oil. It was black and actually bubbling! black gold, texas tea? lol!

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I haven't tried that yet. I've always used canned cat food. It usually doesn't take much unless there is alot of current. I used a bunce of Bream once that had been in the freezer too long and got freezer burn. That worked pretty good. I have a little hand grinder that I mount on a board or the side of the boat.:cool:

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If I'm doing any "cranking" over the side of my boat it better be with an old telephone:cool:

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Rather be "cranking" my reel with a big ol cat on the other end...

15. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Flathead

When I fish for channels, I primarily fish chummed holes. My method is the same as the 5 ga bucket method, but I mix in some cottonseed meal with the hen scratch. The meal sours and when you dump it out it creates a cloud and disperses alot further than just using the hen scratch. The grains fall straight down and the meal spreads out....Seems to bring in alot more cats than just using straight hen scratch.