Chumming during the winter?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bhunt, Oct 31, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I was wondering if chumming in the winter will work. I have some old chum to get reed of before it freezes. Here in texas we fish under the comorant birds in the winter which if you think about it its the same thing as chumming. The birds poop in the water and the catfish eat it. Thanks for any help.

2. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I am going to chum next week with ground and cut gizzard shad in N. Tex, if the weather permits, been chumming right along, but not as heavy as I will, last time out about two weeks ago caught 8 fish, big en almost 11lbs, blue cat,.Lake Ray Roberts, just North of Dallas.

Jeff

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I think chumming works year round. Especially if you can generate scent in a specific area and casting zone, you should be able to generate some fish around there. May take some time but eventually some will wake up to it. If you have chum that can generate some baitfish, it should get the party started with the cats.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive found that chumming works especially well this time of year, in my area.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I feel that chumming works well all year long, I never thought that certain times might be better than others.

My problem is that where I freshwater fish is some distance from my house, so keeping a certain area chummed up is impossible:sad2: