Chummin Rig W/Pictures

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bigbaldcountryboy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is my "go too" set-up. I make a basic carolina rig. Then I take catfish chum mix "Majic Bait" and mix it 50/50 with bread crumbs. Mix in enough water until it gets doughy. Take the dough and cover your sinker up with it as shown in the pictures. Put the rig in a zip lock bag and freeze it. When your ready to go fishin,put the bags in a container and then in cooler with ice( I use dry ice). If your a bank fisher,you can cast this rig a country mile and it WON"T come off. It works just as well drift fishin from a boat and will last around 45 minutes to an hour. After you have caught a few fish,your area is chummed up EXACTLY where you are fishin and you don't need the chum rigs anymore. I make about 15-20 and take them with me. You can use any dough bait you'd like and any cut bait or live bait you'd like,I'm just showing my "basic" set-up that consistantly catch's fish.

Attached Files:

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    So does that mean that you will have to freeze multiple sinkers that are covered with the doughbait?

3. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes the sinkers are covered with the chum bait

4. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hey, that sounds like a good idea..might try it this weekend

5. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve seen a similar style that fishermen use to catch carp. Seemed effective. I`m going to have to try your rig next time i get out.Thnx!!!

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Gonna definitely try this one. Been looking for new ways to chum.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bob it sounds like a good idea.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Looks interesting the smell alone well probably attract cats for miles...

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    GREAT IDEA! Somebody's been takin' their smart pills. Thanx

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    does the line still pull through the sinker with the chum frozen on the sinker? or do you have to wait for it to thaw some?

11. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the tip anyway. A very good idea!

12. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    The sinker won't slide until the chum has thawed some,but I use circle hooks and the weight of the chum on the sinker helps hook the fish. I've missed very few fish using this method and haven't killed by using circle hooks. I'd rather miss a fish then kill it any day they'll be there the next time..

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you think this will work well with a bell or no roll sinker? i am thinking of definately trying this one out the next time i go. nice looking setup you have there.

14. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This sounds like a great idea, im definetly gonna try it for sure this weekend if i get the chance to go! Like the guy above me, do you use this with a bell/casting sinker at all or you think it might work that way?

15. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I use it with an egg sinker,but I'm sure anykind would work. I'll take a picture tomorrow without the chum on the sinker so you can see what it looks like.

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Looks like you could leave a trail right to your bait if you are drift fishing. If you put a small straw through the weight and then thread your line through the straw It might let it slide on the line still. I was thinking of maybe a stir straw or something like that??

Great idea, can't wait to try it!

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Bob!!!!! I Will be Trying that one Out. J.D.:big_smile:

18. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    bob, are you pretty much making a snell setup with the weight on there? if so, how long are they, and how far is the weight/chum from the hook?:0a22:

19. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually run the hook from 12"-18" from the sinker

20. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    There are many variations to this rig, just experiment until you find the one that suits you best. Freezing the chum is the guts to this rig,how you do it or what kind of sinker you use is irrelavent.:wink: