chummin for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by big cat matt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    is it legal to chum in missouri,and what time of year and what should you use for chum and bait.i fish for blues mainly ,just heard the channels can be fast in the hotter summer days.anybody ever try it?

2. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I chum channels all the time. Mostly with range cubes. Sometimes ill put the range cubes in an old pillow case and bust em up with a hammer and then toss out the busted cubes in a "fan" pattern. Seems the cats find them quicker when you break them up some.

3. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    thanks howard, i ve heard that works ,i already have some range cubes in the barn .i ll give it a try. how many do you put out and how long do you wait on each hole.do you use dip bait or something else.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    This time of the year I usually catch a lot of crappies and bluegills.I like to put the guts in 5 gallon buckets and use them for chum.Go to the same spots where you know there are cats already.Chumming isn't magic if you put the chum where there are no fish you will catch very little.Range cubes are ok if you are easily offended by smelly stuff.But fermented grain will work much better.soybeans work the best but stink the most.fill a 5 gallon 1/3 full of soybeans {bin run soybeans are the cheapest but seeds will work if you can't find anything else} fill the bucket to the top with water and cap it.Don't put too many beans in or they will expand and blast off the lid and leak everywhere.Go to 2 or 3 spots....in a reservoir I like depths from 8 to 20 feet.Broadcast it with a stadium cup like you are spreading grass seed.I like submerged trees or stumps close to a channel bend.Try 15-20 minutes at each spot.If you catch fish at a spot keep going back.Bait with turkey liver or shad or whatever you normally use.A lot of guys use dip or punch bait but I never use prepared baits.You can try whole milo or wheat or chicken scratch {they won't stink as bad] you just fill the bucket 3/4 full of grain fill with water.Some guys use corn but that will catch more carp than cats.You Missouri guys have lots of cats to go after and it's perfectly legal I've always wondered why more guys don't chum.And yes the best time of the year is june to september although as long as the water is over 55 degrees I have caught them in May through October.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I don't know about the legality issues in MO. but I use Sardine chum, commonly used for saltwater fishing. It works great for me, it's bloody & oily @ the same time. I also believe what makes it effective is that they grind up the whole fish; therefore the amino acids from the guts is included.

6. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Do you ever pick up any blue cats when u use chum?Do you need to chum a day or two before fishin, or can you do it the same day you plan to fish?have some soy beans, how long do you need to let the beans ferment in the water?Thank ya for the info, i 'll probally try it in a month or two.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Matt there aren't any blue cats where I'm fishing but the smaller ones should respond to it just like the channels. Those boys in Texas catch blues when they are chumming I think. Any Texas/Oklahoma BOC brothers out there? maybe you guys can help us on this one. The air temp affects how long it takes for the grain to ferment.soybeans cook off faster than the other grains.When it's cold say 40-60 degrees outside it might take a week to ferment the soybeans.In the middle of the hot summer it only takes 3-4 days to cook.The hulls separate from the beans and float to the top.A lot of guys will say to rinse the beans repeatedly till they don't foam up. Whole Milo takes about 2 weeks to cook in the spring 1 1/2 weeks in the hot summer.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    You can prep it. I like to throw my crappie guts in a 5 gallon along with any old bait I might have{shad ,cut bait,dead minnows or old meat out of the refrigerator} I might dump these in a likely spot {close to or over some brush] .A lot of guys will chum 3 or 4 spots and then come back to each one. Stuff that's stinking up your trash can might be usefull.

9. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    thanks i ll be givin it a try just as soon as it warms up a bit.thanks for all the tips.

10. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I sometimes use a deer block. It seems to have a little longer lasting effect for me. I don't think that it takes very long for it to have an effect. It's going to have an odor immediately when you put it in the water. I believe the baitfish are going to go to it first. When the catfish see that the baitfish are going to it, they are going to go after the baitfish. Once they're there, they also find out that in addition to the baitfish, there's also something else to nibble on. Just my opinions.

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Never used a deer block. Might give that a try sometime.

I've started using a little plastic garden trowel instead of a cup to broadcast my soured grain. Seems to work pretty good, keeps my hands cleaner than with the cup, and rinses easy. Notice I said cleaner and not clean :p

12. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    There's definitely nothing clean about it...lol