chuming for ol wiskers

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by makoman, Jul 15, 2009.

1. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I was reading a article in okla. game & fish july/august 09 about chuming for catfish Iam curious what others have to say about chuming. Best Regards Steve

2. dono

dono New Member

State:
    ok
    I read the same article. I tried one time with no luck but conditions were bad. I have a friend who talks it up. I am going to try again pretty soon and I will post the effects.

3. dono

dono New Member

State:
    ok
    How do you use it? Strait out of the bag or ferminted?

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the shad I had in the freezer from the year before. I just chunk it up and put it in a cheese clothe sack with some rocks and drop it out. Caught a lot of channels , but nothing very big.

5. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I didn't think that was legal in Oklahoma. But I just searched the regs and didn't see anything about not doing it.

I have heard old timers talk of "baiting a hole" with plain freash dog food, sour corn, sour oats, wheat and alphla hay. Usually this way done a day or two before when they planned to fish. Is this what you guys are talking about?

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Thats the way I do it. I don't do it very often, just when the grandkids are coming down. Make the action a little faster.

7. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    That would help gather the fish..... My wife has a ball with those little channel cats.

8. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Many years ago, my grandpa swore by getting a 3lb coffee can, putting a rope on it (drilled 3 holes for the rope), drilling some holes in it, and then filling it about 3/4 full with wet dog food put plastic lid back on it and let it set a few days and get nasty moldy then tie it close to where you're fishing, drop if off the side and the cats come running.

Dunno if it works or not, but he caught a lotta fish in his time and he said this is the best way to do it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The way we do it down here is to take soured corn and milo and just dump it out in the hole you want to bait. We use about 2 gallons at a time, if there are any fish in the area they will concentrate in this spot. When you want to go fishing, just dump a small coffee can in this baited area to turn the fish on and start catching. I have used this method for a long time and it works really well. After 2 to 5 days of baiting the hole you will only have to bait it about once a week or so witha big bucket, you can throw out the small coffe can worth everytime you want to fish it. We normally limit out on these areas within 2 hours.

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    after you bait a spot do you have any problems with gar coming in on the bait?

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Gary on this this is the way we have done it for many years. I have not had trouble with gar or carp using it this way. It will draw bait fish.

12. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    No problems with gar at all. Try to pick a spot next to a creek channel or in the bend of one. Find a good tree or sink a big rock with a rope tied to it with a jug on the top side, so you can have an easy place to tie your boat up. I have noticed when I have to anchor on these spots it seems to take a little longer for the fish to start biting. This time of year I will bait a hole as deep as 25 feet, sometimes catch the fish on bottom and sometimes suspended. We use ultralight tackle for this and it makes it a lot of fun with 2 to 5 pound channels and blues.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im jus curious for those who chum, have you caught anything in size?

14. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I use cow cake 20% protein (I get a Atwood's) to chum. I've caught several 4 lb channel cats and up to 11 pounders using this chum. You can limit out on the nice eating size pretty easy. Wheat or milo will be cheaper and works just as good, but the my wife don't like the smell as well. She's my fishing partner.