Chum

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Anyone have any tips on how they chum a hole? I have never done it but am going to give it a try. At this point my plan is to use a fine wire basket and cheep Ol Roy dry dog food. I will be doing this on a small river.

2. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I chum mostly on small lakes but soybeans or milo will work a lot better than dog food. You can get spillage near any elevator or better yet get some bin run soybeans They will be a lot cheaper. The darn seeds are easier to find if you're in the city but they are running 35$ a bag even milo is $10 a bag With beans fill a 5 gallon 1/3 full of beans 2/3 water cap the lid off leave it somewhere far away from your neighbors. Milo fill it 3/4 of bucket with whole feed milo easiest and cheapest to find cover with water Soybeans ferment quicker.3-4 days in midsummer heat... 1 week on the milo don't put too many in the bucket they will blast the lid off. don't spill the liquid on anything. put some in a gunny sack or I use the metal insert on an old flow thru minnow bucket take the floatation out of it and sink it on a rope.You can cap off a section of 2" pvc and drill a few holes in it. 20% range cubes from a feed store dissolve real slowly they might work good in a river. You will want an area with slow current or it's pointless. Ground shad in a meatgrinder will work as well.Chum ain't magic If you chum an area with few fish you won't do very good.And dont spend more than 30 minutes in spot maybe only 15 if you haven't caught anything there before.Keep movin till you find a concentration of active fish.I caught 74 channels between 2-10 pounds the other day right at midday. First spot I caught 3 but one was 10lbs. Stayed about an hour but lots of snags and bites were taking about 10-15 minutesMoved to a deeper spot 12' (the deepest in this small lake} Started out with 3 rods spread out using slip bobber suspended right off the bottom.Couldn't keep 3 in the water. Ended up using 1 rod and holding it.Caught 71 fish in one spot didn't keep any did't leave till I ran out of bait. Used 3 1gallon bags of turkey liver had fresh cut shad aND shad sides but they wouldn't touch 'em. I put a cast with shad on a bobber right in the middle of the surface feeding school of kitties and they hit the bobber but not the shad .I guess small lake they eat more feed pellets not near as many shad in there. Hope this helps. My specialty is numbers of channel cats.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Eric I can not wait to see you at work tomorrow and see how we do, bring so chum, I might have to steal some from you.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The fine wire basket is a good idea and cheap dog food is a good fallback
    chum selection. My suggestion is to give the chum a good long time to
    concentrate the baitfish and crawdads. Put your chum out the day before
    you go fishing at least. Some folks suggest two days. Throw a little loose
    near the wire basket and put fresh chum out an hour or two before you
    start fishing. The idea is to not only get the crawdads fired up, but to
    give most of the catfish downstream a chance to find the chum pile.
    Roadkill works as chum too but is pretty disgusting to work with. Scrap
    left over from cleaning fish is prime chum so this concept feeds on itself.
    Your effort will be rewarded. Centuries of practical use on the method
    has been written about and some folks call it cheating. Good luck!

5. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I live in the burbs and I get in a lot of trouble with the wife and the trashman if I leave a bunch of guts/maggots in the trash.So I put the bluegill/crappie guts in 5 gallons and keep em as far away from everybody as possible. Find a good spot and you can even drop cover in it too {in a lake} I build crappie attractors with scrap pvc and concrete and they draw in the kitties too when mixed with chum.It was a great spring for the crappie at one point I had 20 gallons of guts rotting in buckets out back.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    The feed store in Bonner Springs has soybeans for 18$ a 50lb bag. The cheapest I had been able to find was $35.Right on k32 6 miles west of 435.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If your doing it the feed store route, be sure and price the "chicken scratch"........little bit of everything in that stuff. The higher protein range cubes also work well once you have a hole established. Like most things fishing, chumming works best if you toss it in an area that actually hold fish.

8. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have 30 gal of beans that are more than ready to be used and I really haven't had the chance if someone wants them let me know and you can come get them. I'm in olathe

9. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Pm me a phone # if you want the chum I made it last fall opened it and looks like it should still work ok,it is free chum at least

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I also can get you free grain if you want to clean it up off the ground yourself. Its just laying around in piles. I'm North of KC near St. Joe, Mo. some of its already been fermenting so you could use it right away.