Chum?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by xposedguts, Sep 28, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Would anyone recommend store bought chum? If i was to try it out to attract the cats how would i even use it im new when it comes to chum but in walmart i saw a bag of catfish chum and was woundering about it.

2. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    it's ok but I like to make my own,

take a ice cream pail or something that size. chop up a bunch of minnows, chubs, goldeye, ect and put a piece of rope into it. freeze it up and then tie it to your boat or tie it to another rope and toss it in..

good luck...

3. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the info, I always see minnows coming to shore at night ill have to catch a bunch. If i was to buy pre made, like the magic bait brand, could i use a milk jug with some holes in it or something like that?

4. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The directions on it say to just throw it in the water, four or five handfuls at a time, where you're going to be fishing... and to squeeze some golf-ball size lumps and throw them in, too... put your cast as close to the golf balls as possible...

yes, I tried it. I'm new, remember? :confused2: I didn't really notice any improvement... I may try some of the "homemade" sometime, tho...

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Store bought catfish chum is pretty expensive. I prefer to use soured grain (milo, wheat, cracked corn, scratch grains, etc.) and 20% range/cattle cubes. A 50 lb sack of grain or range cubes will be less than $10 each and will last several trips. There's a section under the Texas forum that has a good discussion on range cubes. You can see the success that I've posted in the Lake Lewisville report as well. I've cleaned 190 channel cats so far this month and have put close to 400 in the boat including undersized fish in 5 trips.

6. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    In the members library their is a great recipe for mackeral chum and it has worked well many times for me. The only thing about it, it stinks something awful. I had a fisherman with a boat spread some out of a pickle jar where I wanted to fish, well his chicken dinner went in too.

7. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I have used the same stuff from wall mart. I really dont think it helped at all. dont waste your money. I would do some research on this site. your bound to find some good chum recipes. good luck.:wink:

8. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    get yourself two or three cans of dog food, tuna, spam whatever you like along those lines and punch holes in them. then run string or rope through a hole in each can, tie to your boat or pier and drop the cans in.
    also works well tied in the middle of a trot line.

good luck:cool2:

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The best chum I ever used was rotten shad.Put 4-5 shad in a ziplock bag,tie on a rock for weight then a long string and let the shad rot.Take a nail,ice pick or knife and poke a few holes in the bag.Just toss the bag of rotten shad in the water where you're gona fish and if there are any channels in that place you will catch them. Use the string to get the bag out of the water so you can throw it in the trash.

P.S.roting shad make a gas which will fill up the bag so if you put in to many shad and it will blow the bag open.

10. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make your own! 5- 5 Gallon bucket's. 1- 50# Bag of Deer Corn, 1- 50# Bag of Milo. Fill all 5 bucket's 50/50 corn&milo. Probably 1/4 of bucket. Have used cheap Juice Flavor's. Pineapple, grape, orange ect..... Just cover it! Let sour at minimum 3 months. Luv it when full of the white worms, don't know where they come from. Channel cat's don't care they luv it.