Chum!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by creek_fisher88, Sep 5, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What exactly is chum? can you use anything to make it? does it work very well

2. kingkat

kingkat New Member

State:
    nc
    I like to use a lot of old fish. An grind them up put it in a bucket. That way you can put some out of the bucket with a cup where you are going to fish. Also I take a punchball blow it up an float some chum under the ball away from the boat works great

3. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    most common version of chum is milo with water covering it & let it sit out in a closed container for a week,but keep the water level 1'' above the milo

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv thought about pureying (sc) baitfish and filling a balloon , freezing it , cutting the rubber off and stuffin it in a stocking then sinking it with a rock . whatcha think?

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    That should work. Might take a while to bring the fish in and maybe it would be about gone by then. What ever you use needs to last for about a week. If you do try it, please let us know how it works. OK ??

6. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    me i use a mixture of dry dog food,cream corn,vanilla,garlic powder and vinegar in a 2 liter pop bottle works well in the tusc river here so far anyhow

7. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you fish with minnows, more than likely they die. i like to take the dead ones and put them in a coke bottle and freeze them. then add more from fishing trips. when i know im going to fish for quite a few hours, i make chum out of them by chopping them up ( ive thought about buying a cheap blender, make it easier wouldnt it?) and mixing them with bread, canned/dry dog/cat food, whatever i can thats not needed in the pantry and seems like something catfish like. pantyhose works well to put it in, so does a big bottle (w/ some sort of weight to make it sink) filled with whatever concoction you make. before you sink it, just poke some good holes in it. one day, i used my ultra light gear and fished around one bottle of chum i sank and i caught em up to 15 in. i caught at least 30 cats (although small) around this bottle while using worms for bait. it was a good time, despite taking the really small ones off.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Purchase a 55 gallon barrel with a lid if you can. Clean it completely of whatever was previously inside. It's best if it was not a chemical drum. The blue or white plastic drums that dairymen get soap and iodine in are excellent. If it's plastic, use a saber saw and cut out the top.
    Go to a feed store and buy a 50 pound bag of milo or corn. Pour this grain into the drum. Fill the drum 3/4 full of water and tie a large piece of cheesecloth across the opening to keep out flies. [the idea is to make chum, not grow maggots] Let the contents sour for at least two weeks.
    Use this chum by broadcasting the sour grain into the water where you intend to fish. Use it at the rate of 1 quart at least 1/2 hour before dark, then replenish the chum 1 pint at a time whenever the bite starts to slack off. Don't use too much, or the catfish will eat their fill and stop biting.

Fish-based chum​
    This chum recipe is a little more messy, but works best in moving water.
    Use dead shad, minnows, and/or perch for this one. Any rough fish you catch can be included, as well as the remains of cleaned fish. You can include finely chopped chicken livers if you like. Chop into very small pieces with a knife or use a coarse food grinder set aside strictly for bait grinding. The wife will never again let it into the house, so store it in the shed or barn where it can be exposed to the air. It can be used fresh, or allowed to "season" for a couple of days.
    Ladle the chum into the stream so that the current will carry it past your baits about once every 1/2 hour starting 1/2 hour before dark. Keep the chunks small so that the catfish will smell it, but have trouble finding it.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    ive heard of people using a cattle mineral block.has anyone ever heard about this?

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have used the first one, in smaller batches and like the sound of the second one.

11. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for all the posts guys

12. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    There is a website catfishconnection.com, they offer a wide variety of chums including cheese and blood. Not saying to want to buy chum but may give you ideas as to how to make it.