Chum, your opinions

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Aug 18, 2005.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have been thinking about chumming one of the areas that I fish, with shad and other baitfish that have been sent through a blender. It is a slow moving river, and the area that I fish has a section of current flows in reverse from going around a bridge pilling. Would putting the chum in a mesh bag work or should I just throw a few cupfuls of the chum into the water upstream?

2. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I've used the mesh bag before and it works good. Just make sure you have a rope tied to it so you can get it back, and not litter the area. Also, if your wife doesn't mind you using the freezer, make it into ice-blocks with a rock frozen on the inside so it sinks. The cups work well, but the other ways keep the chum in the area longer. Good luck, let us know how it went!

3. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Freeze it is a good idea it will slowly release and attract cats longer I will have to try it . Thanks for the tip.

4. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    I have only chummed for carp fishing, and it definatley helps. Just buy a big bag of frozen corn, throw a few handfuls while baiting up and toss your hook out. Throw another handfull near your hook and wait for your rod to go down.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I chum with the net bag. I get chubs, shad, pieces of bluegill that i don't use put them in the bag and put it out. But freezing the chum is a great idea.

6. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    No problem Coalminer. I got that idea from watching Shark Week on Discovery channel. The rock idea come from someone else on this site. I was putting the frozen blocks in a mesh bag originaly, but the rocks work well, cause you can just toss them into the lake or river and not have to worry about gettin em back. If you try this in a river make sure its a big rock, or the current will move them down stream!

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Couple of questions here on chumming:

Does it do much good to chum an area when you seldom fish it? I guess what I am asking is do you have to chum an area on a regular basis for it to do any good?

2nd question: Are the mesh bags you are talking about the same thing as those nylon mesh laundry bags with the draw string on top?

8. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

I like to chum an area no less than a few hours before I fish it. It stands to reason if sufficiant habitat and food source is nearby, that area will hold fish and those fish will respond to chum. As far as presentation I like to mix my chum base of choice with some fish meal, red clay and water. I mix until mortar consistencey. I then pack them into a brick shaped mold I made from scrap 2x4's, and let them sit in the sun till hard. If you let them sit too long funky white mold will form. I like this method because I get a time released chum, with out having to tether a chum sack. It works especially well in areas of fair to moderant current. If you fish still waters then don't let them get as hard.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was sitting on the throne the other day and I had a great idea, take all of the chunked up and ground up fish and mix it with plain gelatian and let that set up over night.

10. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

Good idea Tad! You could experiment with different flavors. Let me know how it works out for youl.

11. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Hey Willis, yep. I use those laundry bags when I chum sometimes.
    As for chummin an area that you don't regularly fish. I do it all the time. The way i look at it, is that it can't hurt. I regularly put my chum in the mouth of a stream that is leading into a lake. This way the current spreads the chum out and gets the cats to follow it up. Hope this helps

12. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Are there more bait fish attracted to the chum or more big fish?

13. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks Nick. That definately makes sense and like you said, it couldn't hurt and if it don't cost me nothing I am all for it!

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i dont see why fishing in a spot you dont chum often would make to much of a difference, we do it all the time in saltwater pick a likely spot and start chumming to catch bluefish or sharks. catfish are the same way though if they smell it they will normally come looking for it. make sure your chum isnt to big because you dont want to feed the fish just atract them to your bait.

15. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I have thought about chumming for cats, but thought it was only used for carp. Looks like I need to give it a try!

16. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO

If you're lucky, both. The chum will attract baitfish also, and the fish will follow the baitfish as well as the chum line.

17. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I want to try to chum a small creek to attract baitfish to use for cats.

18. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I chummed my spot really good today, throwing out 10 gallons of chum. I've got a friend coming from Arkansas next weekend and I want them in there big time to show him how we do it here. I was catching bigger fish today for sure!!!!!!!! I used cracked corn and caught over 200 fish in 4 hours, most of the fish were at a pound or better, with the biggest pushing 2 1/4. I mark my catfish that I catch by clipping a fin on one side so we'll know if we catch any again. God bless.

19. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    If your trying to chum for baitfish, I'd use a bread based chum. That will bring in the small baitfish really well. The way I did it was to take a loaf of bread and set it out on the counter over night. Let it get good and stale. Take a bunch of worms and chop em up in little bitty pieces. Get some anise oil, and or some chicken blood from a liver cup. Crush all the bread into a bucket and add the worms, and the blood, and or oil. Mix it all together and bring it down to the water. Throw cups of this nasty crap out in the water and throw a cast net over the places that you have thrown the chum. Afterwords, fish right there where you chumed. It works for the big ones too.

20. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    When I do chum, I use a 5 gal bucket with lots of tiny holes drilled thru it. Anchor it on the bottom upstream of where I'll be casting to and wait.
    For chum I'll just use dead bait, fish heads or any foodscrapes left over,throw into bucket and left to "season" in the sun for a couple of days.