Chum questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a bunch..lol

Do you put it in a sack of some sort.

Milo or range cubes?

Have far in advance do you chum?

I fish a river. It moves fairly slow but would chumming be pointless since the scent is flowing away?

2. texas_slab

texas_slab New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WHAT I DO IN A RIVER IS TRY AND CHUM ABOUT 10 TO 15 YARDS UP RIVER FROM WERE IN GOING TO FISH. RANGE CUBES SEEM TO WORK GOOD FOR ME WHAT RIVER DO YOU FISH

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can put the chum in a gunny sack to keep it together better or you can broadcast it. I have done both. Soured milo or wheat does fine as does range cubes. Just because you are in a river does not mean that you are hindered by flowing water. The scent will go a long ways down river and attract them. Put the chum in a sack and tie the sack off to a tree in the outside bend in the river, the sharper the bend the better. Anchor slightly up river and pitch your bait near the sack. Motor in REAL quiet because the fish can be spooky while feeding. Hope this helps.

Catman george

4. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Used soured corn as a kid. We'd bait three or four holes and fish them... it worked. Used range cubes for the first time a little over a year ago. We just did the same as with the corn and broadcast it in three or four spots. We'd fish a spot, rebait it, move to the next one and just make the rounds. Much much nicer smell and they worked. The cats' bellies were swollen nearly about to pop when we skinned them. They looked about like me at an all you can eat fish fry :embarassed:. I'll still use some of the soured corn now and again just to try something different.

Oh... each of my older three kiddos have trot lines. When we were out for spring break, they all had their lines out baited with weenies. The oldest daughter wanted to be sneaky and get an advantage on her brothers so after we baited her line one evening, she sprinkled range cubes all up and down the line. Next morning she had a couple of nice sized carp on her line. Don't know if the range cubes drew them in or if they really like weenies or what but she had fun catching them.

5. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    WOW, that says it all. Thanks guys. Im ready to go. I like to hog hunt so I always sour corn for my traps. I guess I'll add some milo to it and have some good chum. I hope to go soon to try out this new stratagy. Thanks a million guys I really appreciate you all sharing your wisdom.

By the way Chad I'm fishing the Blanco River below Wimberley. It's crystal clear and shallow in my neck of the woods. I've been getting on small 1 to 3 pound channel cats pretty easy cause the water is so clear. I just paddleto a big deep area and scan the holes. I have trouble catching them though. I see them come swimming up to my bait and then speed off . I think they see my line. I hide the hook in my bait but they just know some how. Sometimes they do this weird twisting thing on my bait like they rub there head on it...then swim away.
    The challenges have me hooked on this type of fishing.

6. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    You don't know it yet but you just got bit by the catfish bug.... big time!! If you are anything like me (and I think you are... outdoors no matter what!:wink:) your not going to be able to think of too much else till maybe you get a biggun on the line and then it will really be all over, cause I hear that once you catch a biggun your gonna wanna catchem' even more!!! Good luck Bro!!

7. texas_slab

texas_slab New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey frank i live in kyle and fish the blanco sometimes we should get together and see if we cant hook some of those kittys that or so shy:crazy:

8. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
  9. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Frank, I was born in San marcos, theres a campground below wimberley called little ark. Fished there in the blanco when I was growing up. Set you some minnow traps and catch some of those red horse minnows, stretch you A trotline below a gravel sholl where the water is waist deep and you will have a mess of channel cat to eat. Ill tell you and old story,Blanco river is the only place ive ever had a 9 % eagle claw hook straitened out. And that happened right there where your fishing.True story.

10. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Slowhand, thats exactly where I'm fishing. I got access all along there in that area. I was out hog hunting today and spotted some guys spearfishing in one of the best holes in the area. Called in the man and got em all busted. 6 guys nailed with small mouth bass and channel cats. The warden also took their gear. I'm glad I got em nailed, in that clear water no fish have a chance. They run for cover and sit tight. It's like shooting fish in a barrel..lol. That was a heavy ticket I bet.

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Been reading about using range cubes and I was wondering how long do they need to be out before they start attracting fish? I thought I might just give it a try.

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Tiny, they'll start to break down in 30 minutes or so. Just drop on in a bucket of water, you'll see what I mean.

13. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Tiny B,
    I bought some range cubes and have tried them the last couple of times I've been out, can't say they have been working for me I seem to have better luck attracting fish when I use soured 'chicken scratch'. The stuff works really well just don't get it on you lol.

Rubes

14. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got a new sack of scratch ready to be started. Probably use some of the old stuff that's been going for a month or better. My fishing partner (aka son) heads to the other end of the boat when I pop the top on the bucket. I try to catch the wind where it blows toward him when I got it open, just to keep him busy.:smile2:

15. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Frank. Thanks for calling "the man" about those guys spear fishing. We all appreciate it, and im sure the fish do too!! :0a31:

16. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was cool watching them get nailed. I saw the game warden sneak over a levy and watch them for a long time. He kept getting closer. They were clueless cause they were face down in the water. I saw them come up a few times to put fish in their bag. On the3rd fish he made his move and nailed em. He took all thier gear to.

Milo has gotten real expensive so I use sour bird seed. Get one with lots of milo in it and it's just as good. The one I use has cracked corn and milo. I like to throw in some canned corn right before I toss it in the water. You'll see carp and perch frenzy over the corn. I think with all the fish feeding it helps get the cats excited. I have lots of smallmouth in my area and ee them come in to see watch all the comotion is about.

oh by the way I add range cubes to the bird seed. After a few days the whole mix with be bubbleing all by itself. Pretty nasty brew.

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish a similar spot on the Brazos river and i catch alot of channel and blues.The first time I went it was almost dark and I had three poles in the water and my wifes little brother had two.We did not have a chance to sit down we limited out in an hour with fish from 2 to 10 pounds.The next day we tried it I took my 5 year old son along and he was going back and forth up and down the bank so we only caught a couple that day.The third day we went we found a man about 70 years old carrying a good stringer full of cats up.So I decided to ask him for a little wisdom.He told me to crawl to the spot and sit down while you are fishing to never stand up or the fishing would stop.So we did what he said and wham we had 37 fis in about a two hour period even a 30 or so pounder my brother in law caught.

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Ninja catfishing:smile2::smile2: but it worked:eek:oooh:

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    corn is ok if you wanna catch carp and buffalo. Range cubes are much slower to dissolve and might work better in a river than a lake.Milo works pretty good. Costs about $11 a bag now used to get it for 4-5. Bin run soybeans work much better as long as you don't have a weak stomach. I paid 18$ a bag for soybean seed last week. But you only get 2 5 gallon buckets out of a bag of whole milo.I got 10 buckets out of 2 bags of soybeans. that will last me till October till we switch over to trout and crappie fishing. Last 4 trips chumming: 73 channel cats alone 12lbs big fish, 47 alone big fish 17.9, 71 2 guys 15lbs big fish,65 3guys 5 hours big fish 11 lbs new avatar.We're fishing a 20 acre public lake and releaseing everything. Once you try the beans you won't use anything else. When you catch a big channel and they belch those up in your boat or in your livewell if you keep a couple you will be a believer.I don't like to take my bass boat cuz when we land a fish they belch stuff up all over the carpet and the leather seats.