Chum oil

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Alabama Al, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    I just bought some menhaden oil at Acadamy. It comes in a plastic bag with a spout that you can adjust to a drip in the water. Kinda like an I V bag. My plan is to sop the bait in oil too. I use cut mullet and fish the Mobile AL delta.
    Has anyone tried this?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Never tried it. Let us know how it works and welcome to the BOC.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Al i know a lot of people around here use menhaden oil fishing for kings an cobia ,but i have not tried it yet for catfish ,but i plan on trying it this winter

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if its good on bait it oughta be good on taters mm mmmmmm

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    don,t think you have ever smelled any menhadden oil if you think it would be good on taters :wink::smile2:

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use menhaden oil it'll draw cats from a mile away.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome aboard Al!:0a25:.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i like to add a little to my chum in the grinder. then mix it real good, pack it tight to the bottom of one of those country crock butter container[or something simaliar, as long as its plastic] pack it to rim and freeze it to a soild block. then when i go chummin, i pack it still in the container in my ice chest so it dosent thaw to much before i get on water. when im set , i'll remove it from bowl and put it in a nylon mesh bag with weights in it to keep it strait down, i'll either hang it of the boat in the current or add bouy on top and four additional feet of line from bottom of bad to bottom of lake to float ot just off the bottom, this method is good because you can bait a spot for a few hours and let the mesh bag slow release call um in. you dont wanna just throw cut baits and fish refuse out to fall loose on the bottom, in my opinoin that just provides a buffett for the cats to naw on till it finds your hook. and we all know what happens when we eat too many appeitizers at dinner, we almost cant eat the meal cause your full already, right? so the idea is to realease particals of flesh and the blood and oil slick slowly. teasing a frenzy. have heard that cod liver oil works well also.

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I may use cod liver oil to soak my shad in. If I could get access to menhaden oil , I'd give it a shot.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Al Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I have used menhaden oil in different baits for some time and like the results. A little goes a long way. If you get it on you don't expect to wash it off easy.:0a25::0a22:

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Just got off acadamy's site and they didn't know what menhaden oil was.
    Can somebody please point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    have a good 1
    just

12. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to Google and did a search. There are several sites out there that offer it in several different dispencers and containers.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

14. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    I will let the board know when I get to go again. It's been way too long.
    Al

15. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    Thats the distance I am looking for. Do you drip it in the water or just put it on the bait?

16. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta

Good, let us know what you found.
    Al

17. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta

I found it in the store. Bass Pro has it too but it is just a half gallon jug. The IV bag from Acadamy seems more versatile. I found the jug first so I have bought both. It looks like I'll be able to pour from the jug into the bag if I want too.
    Alabama Al

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  18. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta

Thank you for going into such detail. Now you have me shopping for a grinder. Do you use the manual, crank type or the electric type? I am leaning toward an electric one. How heavy duty will I need? Should I pay extra for the hairy chested one or will the cheaper ones work just as well?
    Where did you find the bag? How big are the holes? Have you had one bite the bag?
    Sorry for all the little questions but you have not only put a lot of thought in this but done the field trials and I am trying to keep from going off in the wrong direction.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Alabama Al

19. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    Sounds like a good idea