Chum for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rat fink, May 30, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    my honey hole has dried up and i want to chum it a litel bit to draw them back whats the best chum for channel i know there are alot of things that work in a lot of diffrent plases but think in genral

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    we use cans of dog food with holes in it... also take a dead chicken and put in a old onion sac tie it on a limb above the water, and when the maggots and other insects fall off the chicken in the water, the littl ones eat them. then the bigger ones eat them.( you can use any meat not just chicken....)

3. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    I use soured chicken scratch. It works great.

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Corn would bring them I catch channels fishing for carp on the corn.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any soured grain will work. I use corn because it is the cheapest thing in my area. Any water tight container will work to sour you chum in. Fill container about 2/3 rds full and cover with water, adding a beer or some yeast will hasten the proccess. With the weather in the 80's takes about 3 days to get a good sour going. When the first batch is ready leave a little and add fresh grain and stir.
    The chum can be frozen in containers with a rock in it. Containers that are about 2 gals work great. Freezing it helps with the mess and adding the rock makes it sink better. By the time you can get from home to your destination the chum should be thawed enough to slide out of the container into the water making for a fairly mess free deployment.

6. catman101

catman101 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to drift for channels and would chum work for me if I drift over and then motor around it and drift back across it again?

7. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i suppose you can use: corn, blood,store bought chum, seeds.......ANYTHING that sounds appetizing to them, they will come back

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    i dont know if this will work but I heard it on the net so here is a few tips to u all try getting a ice tray and fill it with blood u can use liver blood or any kind for that matter:smile2: then put the ice tray with the blood in the freezer so u get little blood cubes then throw them in the water but I just heard it i think it would make the water cold lol.

9. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    go to the feed store and buy 10 pounds of milo. divide the 10 pounds evenly through out small buckets filling each bucket halfway with milo. next pour a beer into each bucket an fill the rest of the bucket up with water. cover each of the buckets but not tightly to allow the milo to breath. wait atleast 2 weeks before using, the longer u wait the better. just diperse a bucket or so around the area you are fishing.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just save all my chicken liver blood and use that,works real good for me.

11. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    some good tips there, I never really have tried chumming, I have heard about the cans of dog food with holes poked in them.

12. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think ill try the frosen chum idea but the ice cube trays is a no no my mother would beat me with a golf club and people wounder why i dint like golf lol:lol:

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We buy commercial catfish bait at the local feed store, fill up a mesh bag with a good scoop or two and then put a rock in it and sink it where you want to fish. We put a small jug on the end of the rope and leave it tied off about 3 feet under the surface of the water so no one can see it easily but we can retrieve it with an oar. Put out a couple hours before your going to fish to chum the area, they can smell it and mush it but they can't eat it. Works good and we do this off our dock also.

14. mopackrat

mopackrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try the same thing with dry dog food. Almost any brand will do.

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    depends on if you are just trying to attract them to your area on a general basis or if you are trying to attract a lot of fish to an area to hammer them once in a while.

to keep fish in your general vicintity range cubes dissolve slow and let the food out over more time, these don't really seem to create a feeding frenzy but attract alot of fish to the area, for me anyway.

soured grain is the thing when chumming a spot to start a feeding frenzy, corn soybeans milo etc. are great to use, put in a barrel or bucket with a lid, add water, add dry yeast(available at all grocery stores, and much better and cheaper than wasting beer.) let it ferment. to create the best stuff you wantr to make sure flys and other insects cannot get in the mix, cut/drill a small hole in the lid to fit a peice of hose about three foot long, insert hose just into hole and seal it up around the hole so bugs cannot get in, take a soda bottle and duct tape it to the outside of the barrel about halfway down, fill the bottle halfway with water and insert the other end of the hose in the bottle under the water, leave the hose loose in the bottle opening, as gases are generated by the fermentation process they can only leave through the hose, and will push down under the water to the end to let the pressure escape as they bubble the water in the soda bottle, since flys and insects can't swim underwater and then up through the hose this is a great way to vent your mix while keeping it free of insects, as you will have to add water to your mix container as the grain soaks it up you can keep an eye on the water level in your sida bottle to keep the hose end underwater too. let it sit for two or three weeks then you can pop off the lid and transfer some to another bucket to use/take with you. scatter the bait in a small area and wait a couple hours before fishing, the best way is to bait the same spot every day at the same time for a couple weeks, then it will be an experience wehen you go and actually fish it at the right time when you normally do the feeding, one after another as fast as you can reel them in if done in a good location.

As far as drifting over fresh chum it would really help out if you went out and baited a few spots around the lake, drop a marker on the spots, when done go back to the first spot and fish it, when done there grab your marker and head to the next spot, this will let the bait/chum have some soak time to attract more fish, for your enjoyment, lots of fun!

16. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a method that has worked for me. I use liver from Wally World and get a new container for each trip. If there is any left after the fishing trip I set the container in the freezer. On my next fishing trip I carry the frozen container in my ice chest along with the new container of liver, my drinks, snaks amd other bait. As soon as I arrive I toss the frozen chunk of liver and blood into lake / pond. My catch has improved. The last time I tried it in a pond you could see the wakes of fish coming to my side of the pond. I'm not sure how it would work in a river. It sure beats throwing it away.