Chum bombs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tdheater, Mar 10, 2008.

1. tdheater

tdheater New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been doing alot of research about chumming and I came up with a plan. I hear you can use everthing from soured milo to cotten seed but what I don't know is the best way to bait a hole. I started on what I am calling chum bombs. Essentially plastic jugs filled with cheap beer and range cubes. The range cubes contain the milo and other stuff and the beer to start the fermentation process. My plan is to sink one or two poked full of holes in a good cat area, with a rope and float still attached to retrieve the jug. How quickly should the kitties respond? I hear some guys saying an hour, others the next day. Anyone out there experts? I'm not asking where your honey hole is, I'm just wanting to help nature and make me a few holes. Thanks.

2. CatfishMOJO

CatfishMOJO New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER AND WATER ABOUT A HOUR TO START AND IT SEEMS TO ONLY HOLD THEM A FEW HOURS AFTER CHUM IS GONE

3. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    do you know any others of baiting water throwing a few pieces of bait in area?

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i use the chicken scratch & it seems to work pretty quick like 1/2 an hour or so, then throw out more every 30 minutes to an hour when the bite slows!!!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I bait holes I try to bait four different areas. This takes a little time depending on the distance apart. I then return to the first approx 1 hr time. I then fish the first until the bite slows. Then I go to #2 and etc. You can rotate betwenn the four holes for several hours. The fish will continue to replinish all holes. Lets hear how you do it.

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i'm interested to hear the replys.. i've never tried chumming.. may have to give it a try.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hi garzaglass and welcome. Keep on posting. Just post and say thanks to everyone, and within a half hour you'll have your 10 posts. LOL

8. garzaglass

garzaglass New Member

State:
    OK
  9. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I go to a spot or two and empty a bag of range cubes in a line where I will be throwing my bait. I have a floating jug hook-up already attached by rope to a large weight on the bottom. I go over and attach a hook to the float and fish. It take about 30 min to an hour for the cats to come around. I throw out a coffee can two of cattle cubes if the bite slow down.

10. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Any idea on how well this would work in a creek? I fish a feeder creek into the Red River that is about 10+ ft deep, slow moving water. And can you use something else besides beer to start the fermentation? I'm afraid if I use cheap beer I'll catch too many locals... haha.

11. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    One of my methods is to, using my personal recipe dough bait, bait a hook, throw it into the area I want to fish then jerk the dough ball off. continue this process for about 15 - 30 minutes the fish will come,,, sometimes it will be a lot of small ones, then the larger ones will show up.

BTW I think I posted my, personal recipe dough bait, here somewhere, If not I will do so soon

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Heres an idea. use a milk jug with your bait of choice with large holes only half way up so it floats partially submerged and the chum drifts off and down like a slick. this may draw them from further away.