Chum bags for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluecatnut, Mar 29, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    iwas thinking about using a laundry bag and fill it with fresh cut skipjack and set it in my hole i fish do anyone use chum and does it work

2. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When Al and I know we are going to be some place for a couple of days we usually try to chum. He got a cricket tube for our trip to Texoma and we are going to put some cut shad in there. I think that is what he said and see what we can catch.

3. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have used chum a couple of times and it works fairly well. I would suggest smooshing or grinding up the fish so that the scent can get out better. Good luck to ya!

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    good idea i was just gonna cut up the chum

5. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ive used old potato chips, crackers and cereal to bring baitfish into an area and them used chubs or other live bait and it does seem to help in certain cituations.

6. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A buddy of mine does same thing with dry dog food in a mesh bag. Obviously takes a bit longer for dry food to soak and "dispense" compared to canned food... but it's less expensive and he swears by it.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    We also take the can dog food but hang it in a tree above the water when the moggots start to drop the bream stack up below the tree. A grat way to catch bait

8. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hmmm... I like that idea. How big of a hole, or holes, do you punch in can... and how?

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I use cracklins in a mesh bag. A good chum is to take field corn, put it in a 5 gallon bucket, add water, let it sour for a week or so, and then use a scoop on a stick to chum the area you are going to fish. You can do the same thing with soybeans or wheat. Some folks use soured chicken feed.

10. TEAYSWRESTLER

TEAYSWRESTLER New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have tried chum a few times when fishing in a cove but this is the store bought stuff not exactly top of the line but I have'nt ever had any luck with it.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've tryed that sour corn deal and it did not seem to work on KY lake. Tryed in back bays.

12. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The Sour corn works well for CARP and brings bait in for the Wels cats as well!!!! We have done it often and the results are worth the effort. The can of dog food is a worth while trick in theory. I will remember to use it once I return.

HOPPY4

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I sometimes tie them a foot or so above my anchors then put down with the anchor works good for me.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was thinking of using a old onion sack. Mesh would be similiar to laundry bag. I have seen them use em for salt water fishing. Great idea

15. hunters

hunters New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am planning on trying soured milo in a bag (so taht I can thow it out farther since I do not have a bout) thish weekend.
    I'll let you know how it works.

16. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    hey foreverflathead thats a nice looking ride.
    COOL !