Chum Bag for catfishing

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Creteus, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Look here I've got some mullet, squid, shrimp and about 30# of hallubit fillets.
    All of it needs to be thrown out. What I was wondering would it be good in a chum bag all ground together. I know it sure would be a stink:sick-big:

2. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    it might work or at least you could get rid of it that way

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I might Be Wrong, But I Believe That any Ground Up Fish Or Animal Matter Will Work For chum.

I Have A few Friends That Are Saltwater Commercial Fishermen, They Give Me All The " Undesirable" Bait That They Catch In Their Castnets. I Grind It All Up In An Old Commercial Meat Grinder, Then I Make Balls About The Size Of A Baseball Out Of That, Place It On Wax Paper Then Put Them In The Freezer.

When I Go Fishing I Just Take Several With Me. Here's My Thought, First Of all They Go Directly To The Bottom, Secondly They Are Clean & Easy To Handle. IF I Want The Fish To Surface I Let A Couple Thaw Out In A Bucket With A Little Water Then Sprinkle It Into the Water. The Current, If Any Will Draw The Fish Towards you.

Good Luck, HTH.

4. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    good tip... thanx!

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    It will work good for chum, not sure about catfish chum though. Maybe add tons of garlic salt and powdered cheese and it might work for catfish?

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use It For Catfish & Panfish Alike It Works Real Well, PLenty Of Fish Oil & Scales For Sparkle If THe Water Is Clear Enough.

Good Luck, Elliot

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've been wanting to try a chum bag what do ya think about a doggfood bag tied up in a burlap sack full of old fish i need to clean out of my freezer the kids left open in the garage

8. Phlogus

Phlogus New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually let the guts from the prior weekends fishing rot in a 5 gallon bucket all week and then put that in a burlap sack then use a brick and a rope to anchor it just up river.

9. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Onion sacks make good chum bags. I have of guys punching holes in canned dog food or cat food and throwing it in.

John