Chuckar

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by ArmyCatfish, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i figure there prolly aint many people who hunt these critters, yet i have never seen a thread on um so i decided to start one. i have no questions yet i may have some answers. but i was realy just wondering who all hunts chuckar.i think it is one of the most exciting birds to hunt. and my are they delicouse:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jon ,I've never had the opportunity to hunt em. We dont have any here ,we have Scale Quail,bobwhites,Mearns and valley quail.There are pheasants in isolated pockets around the state and Blue and spruce grouse in the mountains. The prarie chicken season has been closed due to low numbers from the drought .

3. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    in the mountains of nevada where i grew up hunting and fishing. we got valley and mountain quail. blue and ruffed grouse. sage hen, a few pheasants and others i know im missing. as for chuckar knowing few people have had the chance to hunt them. if you are ever given the opportunity do it.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hunted chukars in idaho and utah, when i was about 12 years old. they had all kinds of good bird hunting up there. i have seen a few groups of chukars down here around a place called valle de oro, i am sure someone around there let em go. there is no open season on em in texas, but i only see them around the river roads in the summer anyway.

5. Lost-him

Lost-him New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Know I'm a little late with this reply but don't get on here as often as I'd like. I hunt them darn chuckar. Man must be soft in the head to do it. Start at the top of a mountain and chase that bird to the bottom only to have them turn around and race back to the top.

Last year in Idaho wasn't that good to to the drought but we've had an average moisture year this year so hoping the hunting will be better. Really enjoy it when I'm not sucking wind to hard.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    maybe the reason i enjoyed hunting them so much is that i was a lot younger. up in idaho, west of pocatello there are a bunch of them. we didn't hunt them with a dog either, probably would run my shorthair wild, the way blue quail do.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Never hunted them but wifes granpa raised them. Talk bout fine vittles, i think they are better than quail.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to hunt them in Calif. Craziest bird Ive ever hunted. We would sit with our back to them in a ravine and wait for them to come over head. Good eating.