Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figure there prolly aint many people who hunt these critters, yet i have never seen a thread on um so i decided to start one. i have no questions yet i may have some answers. but i was realy just wondering who all hunts chuckar.i think it is one of the most exciting birds to hunt. and my are they delicouse:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Jon ,I've never had the opportunity to hunt em. We dont have any here ,we have Scale Quail,bobwhites,Mearns and valley quail.There are pheasants in isolated pockets around the state and Blue and spruce grouse in the mountains. The prarie chicken season has been closed due to low numbers from the drought .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in the mountains of nevada where i grew up hunting and fishing. we got valley and mountain quail. blue and ruffed grouse. sage hen, a few pheasants and others i know im missing. as for chuckar knowing few people have had the chance to hunt them. if you are ever given the opportunity do it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i hunted chukars in idaho and utah, when i was about 12 years old. they had all kinds of good bird hunting up there. i have seen a few groups of chukars down here around a place called valle de oro, i am sure someone around there let em go. there is no open season on em in texas, but i only see them around the river roads in the summer anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Know I'm a little late with this reply but don't get on here as often as I'd like. I hunt them darn chuckar. Man must be soft in the head to do it. Start at the top of a mountain and chase that bird to the bottom only to have them turn around and race back to the top.

Last year in Idaho wasn't that good to to the drought but we've had an average moisture year this year so hoping the hunting will be better. Really enjoy it when I'm not sucking wind to hard.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
maybe the reason i enjoyed hunting them so much is that i was a lot younger. up in idaho, west of pocatello there are a bunch of them. we didn't hunt them with a dog either, probably would run my shorthair wild, the way blue quail do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.