Chuck99's Boat Cover

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by chuck99, Apr 6, 2007.

1. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What you will need may vary from boat to boat and personal preference/application. My boat is a 17.5 ‘ Tracker ProV 17, which measures bow to stern 18'. My boat cover also covers the motor.

This list is what I used. Your boat length, width, configuration and personal preference will vary this list. Use your imagination.....configure this the way you want it.

1. 3 20 foot sticks of 3/4 PVC. I buy it in 20 lengths and cut it to 10 feet to transport it in my truck.

2. 30 +/- 3/4" PVC T’s

3. 20 or so PVC 45 degree joints.

4. 20 or so PV 90 degree joints.

5. PVC Glue and cleaner if you like. This will not have water pressure.

6. Hacksaw or PVC cutter.

7. 3/4 " PVC straight connecters, for the always present "whoops".

8. Hot water pipe insulation, with a 3/4" hole in the center. 18 feet or so.

9. Cheap cable/zip ties to attach the hot water pipe insulation to the PVC at "rub" points.. I get mine from Big Lots or other discount stores. 1.50-2.00 per 100.

My advise is, put it together first. When you are happy, then PVC glue the joint. I am always "new and improving. If your boat has a windshield, do not let the boat cover lay directly on it.

Start with a piece of PVC from the front of the back of the motor (use tape to secure the PVC to the motor) to the bow of the boat, main backbone. Use the 3/4" straight connectors, if your PVC backbone is shorter than your boat. Use a 90 degree or 45 degree connector for the front to level the back, over the motor, to the front.

Put your boat cover over the boat. Insure that at the present height of the backbone, the cover will overlap the sides of the boat. If your cover does not overlap the sides of you boat to your satisfaction, adjust the height of the backbone; bring it down from the motor and shorten the front.

Once the height of the backbone is established, start making the leg, up and down supports. These will be from the backbone to the floor of the boat. Use the PVC T’s. Cut the backbone where you want the leg supports. Remember that the PVC T’s will add an inch to the backbone. Mine uses 4 legs.

Again, put the cover on the boat and check the fit. Add to or shorten the up and down legs supports accordingly.

Now add the side legs, 45 degree +/-, from the backbone. The angle will depend on the height of the backbone and the sides of the boat. Again the spacing will depend on your boat. Use to T’s at a 45 degree +/- angle to each other, with about a 2" piece of PVC between them connected to the backbone.

If you have a windshield, make side legs like the ones in the pictures.
    Again, put the cover on the boat and check the fit. Tighten the cover down. If you see any sags, add another side leg.

When you are satisfied with the fit, take the cover off and start glueing.
    When the glue is dry, check the cover fit again. Modify accordingly.
    Now add the hot water pipe insulation, using cable/zip ties, at any sharp parts. T’d, 90's, or 45 degree angle point, and along the backbone. This will reduce the overall wear on the cover.

Once again, use your imagination, configure this the way it will fit your boat and you want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]