Chubs?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by beakus, Nov 1, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    can somebody tell me what the heck a chub is?

2. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    i think its a bluegill, sunfish, perch, ext.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've always wondered too...thanks for clearing it up.

I guess those things have a million names...

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Good site! A chub is like a minnow, but can get bigger. I have caught chub 15-16 inches before. I catch them in small creeks around here. I walk through the creek with an ultralight fishing with a small bobber and a piece of nightcrawler, they tear it up. Usually fish around roots, logs, and such. Make a great bait. I have caught all three main cats on them. Channels seem tolove them as cutbait. They are very bloody.

Also make a great bass bait, throw one out next to some cattails in a pond under a bobber-game over.

5. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chubs are in the minnow family. I catch them in small creeks using a little hook and small piece of worm.took a friend to catch some and he was throwing them back he thought they were baby bass.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It depends on where you live.
    Us folks from out here in the sticks of eastern NC more often then not call a largemouth bass of any size a chub.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
  8. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    Good flatty cat bait. I have caught em up to 10'':tounge_out:

9. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    We have chub here in the Uk - not sure is they are they same but heres a pic of our chub. These grow to 8lb plus.

chub.jpg

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That UK Chub looks quite similar to what we call a chub around here except yours is a heck of alot bigger. A chub is a common type of creek minnow here in Oklahoma. Much fatter and broader than a river shiner. As was said before........ GREAT BAIT. I catch just about anything on those things. In the spring I catch a bunch with a cast net and use them to catch saugeye and sand bass by the bucket loads. Often a good chub will catch three or four fish before his day is done.

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Creek chub, river chub, hornyhead chub, etc. Here is a creek chub I trapped:

creekchub.jpg

12. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I see the clam larvae are in your area as well. All the scaled fish I have caught in streams for the past 35 or so years has had them including some large creek chubs. I have to laugh, my dad now deceased for many years, used to fish Ceasar Creek here in Ohio before it was impounded and he was so sure those were bass. I had to point out the fins and am still not concerned I convinced him. They are quite pretty and colorful once they get big, 6 inches or more and make a dynamite bait for anything that moves in the water I have found out later. If it weren't for Dad, I wouldn't be here. There are a couple of meanings in that saying.

13. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Snail larvae, not clam duhhh. :cool2:

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    My second choice for catfish. My first coice for bass. I ususally catch them in small creeks when the weather is a little warmer. I haven't tried lately. It's probably too later for them now. Will actualy thrive in an aquarium. Are easier to keep alive than shad.