Chubs vs. shad ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, May 12, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is one better than the other ? Is live chub better than cut chub or shad ? I can get an unlimited supply of 3"-6" chubs in my local creek, live(fresh) shad is much harder to come by. Fishing for channel and flatheads. Any advice or opinions ? -Thanks

P.S. Cool forum, glad I found it !

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    live chubs are better for flatheads than cut bait. i also get alot of chubs and do very well with them. shad only come up the river in the spring but the die and float down the river so in that time shad you just cant beat. in the summer i fish with more chubs. depends what time of year and what is in the system you fish.

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I doubt you would notice a difference in bites with shad or chubs for channels. However, cut is definately my preferred way of using them for channels. You can catch some bigger channels on live chub, but the bites will be slower. I really don't like chubs for flats at all for that matter. If you can get chubs, I'm sure you could find bluegill. I would stick with those. Use them live, I really don't like using cut bluegill for flats or channels, but a lot of people do well here with them.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'd say shad are better, but not much better. i prefer shad because they emit a lot more oil.

5. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have about the same luck with both...I prefer chubs live and shad cut.

6. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    If you have an unlimited supply of chubs I would use them and switch to fresh cut shad when it is available. But I wouldn't worry about chasing shad if I could get all the chubs i want.

I usually take some chubs whenever I am going to fish the river/backwaters. I like to get there an hour or two before dark and throw my net for shad. if I am in a backwater I will also take an UL setup for gills.

7. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Here in S.C. we have a fish that some people call a shiner or silver, is this what some refer to as a creek chub ?

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, at least not to me. Shiners have bigger scales and die a little quicker if you ask me. They do have the same shape. Shiners are usually thinner I guess.

9. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    The ones im talking about seem like they wont live very long if you put them in a floating basket and their scales fall off real easy.

10. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    that sounds like a shiner, not a chub

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've always had good luck with shiners.