Chubs and Black Perch for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Dirtdobber, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Spent most of the day a my cousins farm catching chubs and black perch. He has a small creek that runs through his hay field that is full of chubs and black perch, it goes dry in spots and trap the fish in holes. We catch all we can and put them in his spring fed pond. When we need them we set a perch basket and in an hour or so have all we need for a days fishing. Can't wait until after the 4th to get after the Flatheads.

2. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I think you guys call them green sun fish. In the clear water in some of our creeks they will get very dark green almost black.

We have bream here too.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Those are the same fish that I use for bait. I get them out of a creek that snakes it's way all the way through town. Tough little suckers! GOOD LUCK!:big_smile:

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    We caught about 300-400 chubs and about 150 perch. If we don't get a flood and wash them out of the pond it should do use for a month or so. They were good ones this year the chubs ranged in size 3"-12" and the perch were from 3" to 6".

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a sweet bait setup!:cool2:

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i'm from oklahoma and everything is a perch there lol, i didn't know the difference till i moved to iowa and actually saw a yellow perch and had everybody that I fished with including my wife correctin me:embarassed: