Chub trapping

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by redwiskers, Jan 19, 2007.

1. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'm thinking about using a Minnow trap for chubs this year. In the past I've caught them on rod and reel but not having the luck I would like to. Have any of u done this and if so what do u use for bait. Also how long should I wait before checking the trap.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say to first check your state game laws to see if trapping bait is legal. Some states don't allow traps for bait, some do, and as in the case of Oklahoma, it is so darn confusing even the game wardens don't know if it is legal. If it is, just bait it out with bread or dog food... if you bait it, they'll come.

3. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    huh didnt think about that. I better check that out.

4. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    In VA it is legal to use bait in atrp. I ussully put a minnow trap out in some current in the afternoon and leave it overnight. About any thing will work for bait, easiest is bread or saltines or dog food. Good luck.

5. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    I just poke some holes in a can of sardines, and put the can in the trap. Works well for chubs, bullhead, bluegill ect. If I'm in a hurry, I just throw a castnet in some of the holes on the creek.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've always used a salmon egg hook & a tiny piece of worm. I used to have a trap but never caught anything in it. then again back then I didnt know didly about trapping bait.

7. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use the round crawdad traps with 2 1/2" openings, with a mix of sardines and crushed cracker in a small mesh sack wired to the bottom of the trap. Stick it in deep hole and check it in the morning. Also #12-#14 hooks with small balls of bread with a cane pole works well too.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya check ur state laws first, we can use minnow traps here, but they have to be 24 inches in lenght and 12 inches in diameter.

9. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    used to trap em all the time here in missouri with great success in a small stream where i had could barely find deep enough holes to cover the trap, but the chub were everywhere, you could see the schools swimming in the shallower water.i would check them at least every 24 hrs,(state regs)
    Never put any bait at all in the traps, i think they went in it for cover.
    And i also learned if i left a few in the trap that more would get in it sooner than if i emptied it completly
    I caught more than i could use so i kept some in a big bait tank under my deck with some air pumps and air stones running.One of those big horse watering tanks
    them suckers were so fast that i couldnt get em out with a net, so i tried putting a trap in the tank overnight,, almost everyone of the chubs would be in the trap in the morning,, (again,,, no bait in the trap),

I think they were going in it for cover ,, only thing i could figure out,,, but whatever the reason it worked like a charm

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have a lot better luck using a square trap rather then the round ones. The chubs seem to go in it a lot better . I use bread but I always take the Bread and lay it out in the sun and let it dry out before putting it in the trap. It will flake off better.

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    here in PA we arnt alowed to trap in water aproved for trout. so ive always had to catch them on rod and reel which ive always enjoyed anyways because it only takes an hour and ill have a dozen or so chubs and normaly a trout or two to go with the chubs. small peice of worm, bread or corn seems to work best.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I walk small creeks with a buddy and an 8' seine. we catch hundreds that way and it's fun too.

13. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I use the small minnow traps that you can buy at walmart. I usually bait them with dog food. I will put the traps in holes in local creeks, then i will check them in the morning.

14. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I trap chubs I usely put my trap in a funnel in the creek and lay wet grass over the top of it, chubs like the shade from the grass.

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Kevin,
    I live in Michigan and have caught chubs with rod & reel for years. I have also used the traditional round minnow trap with some sucess. This past year, I looked in the BOC library and found a square trap for catching bluegills and bullheads. It has four openings and works great. It cost about $10 for the materials and a couple hours to make. It has been one of the best fishing investments I have ever made. I found the best bait to put in the trap is a can of sardines. (Punch a couple of holes in it and its good to go). I have never tried this trap for creek chubs, but I'm sure it would work just fine. I put my trap in a local pond, and have caught all the gills and bullheads I want in as little as an hour. I have alson left it in over night and had five or six in there. I have caught gills from 2" up to 7". It is a great trap, and easy to build.
    Sparky

16. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Sparky
    Thanks for the info I will look in to this trap and see if it will do the job for me.

17. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i use bread in my traps or dog food but bread works the best for me. if there is ALOT of chubs in the creek you are trapping you can check the trap in 15 minutes to an hour !! ive had traps FULL of chubs in 15 minutes in some of my holes that i trap. if i leave a trap in an hour and dont get much bait , i move on to another hole in the creek.