Chrome rattle trap

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    last spring caught a nice blue on a rattle trap any one else ever do this seams like in the spring they will hit a lure.

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I've caught em on crank baits befor. I think if it come by they will hit it.

3. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I've caught them on tube baits and on spinner baits before never a crank bait

4. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I have not caught any on a hard bait but; my buddy Rondey caught a nice 10lbs blue on black strike king spinnerbait.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    All species of catfish can be caught on lures. But I think because catfish are more smell oriented verus bass/crappie etc which are primarily sight oriented, its far easier to catch bass on lures than catfish. Ive caught a few sml channels on rooster tails when fishing for baby blass bass/crappie. And last year got me a baby blue on a spoon I was throwing into a school of sandbass. My broher also once caught a 10# flathead throwing a plastic worm for bass. Also there was a post on here where someone said they saw a catfish video where they were targeting flathead using lures, and supposedly caught several over the course of the show.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Caught a 10 pound channel on a jitterbug in the dead of summer in a night bass tournament.
    Caught another channel I never weighed on the same lake in another bass tournament on a spinnerbait. He was in the 7-10 pound range.

For the Tarheelers out there. Shearon Harris!

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    catfish can definitely be caught on lures of all types. The body of water and the forage available have a major effect.

I used to fish in a lake that was thrivin with baitfish from early spring through late fall...many folks, targeting hybrids or smallmouth caught many catfish on crankbaits, spinners and jigs.

I have caught several nice channels fishin shorelines early in the morning with small jigs, chasin other species

cyas
    rc

8. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was fishing in a Bass Tournament a few weeks back and a buddy in another boat landed a 48 pound flat on a jig-n-pig. I have caught several small cats on lures before but not anything a 10th that size.

9. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Many, many moons ago - maybe about 20 years - I was having the bass day of my dreams. Every cast it seemed was a keeper fish, many over 4 lb. A buddy in the boat with me, mainly a non-fisherman, hooked and landed a 10+ blue cat. We were using crank baits, though I can't remember what kind. It does happen.

I hear of tournament bass fishermen hooking into channels and flats on Wilson using worms Carolina rigged.

10. Penn209

Penn209 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Daredevils, plastic worms, crank-baits, rattle traps, and oh yeah, even Mulberrys.:cool2: