Christmas project #2

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by beetle, Jan 19, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a doll bed for my daughters my twin doll that Santa brought her. It had been so long since the last time I used my lathe I scraped a few post before I could get 4 usable ones for the bed.LOL My wife made the mattress, pillow and quilt for it.

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Nice work, I wished I had the patients for doing wood work like that.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Looks good to me.Great job.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Making things full size is one thing trying to make them tiny versions was a trick in its self. Finding a way to clamp things that small was fun.LOL I am not sure the bed is in proportion right (length and width). It fits her doll so that's all that matters I guess.LOL

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Great work, Just nothing better than home made gifts, I am sure there was one happy little girl on Christmas morn, great looking and very nice job. I have been using some of the 2" ratchet straps for my clamps lately seem to get the odd ball angles taken care of and they are pretty cheap for a set of 4. Just a thought if you haven't tried them. we are going to be making chips later this year, gonna work on some log outdoor furniture for reel this summer. May just end up with fire wood but gonna have a go with it, again great looking pieces you and the wife made up!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice work.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Roger, is woodworking what you do? I see it says you are self-employed.

Seems to me you and your wife make a wonderful team. I think quite a few folks would be happy to pay good money for the type of handcrafted items you've posted pictures of.

Great job, :0a31:!

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Awwwww man, Roger that is some mighty fine craftsmanship buddy. Your wife is very talented also. Tanya is right, people will pay for that kind of quality. Your little girl will treasure that for a lifetime.

Fishnfwl, when you build some of the log furniture be sure to post some pictures of your projects, that is one thing that has interested me for a while now.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No Tanya woodworking is just a hobby for me. Home remodeling is my business, I have a gutter machine and do that, roofing and siding mostly. I know me and the wife both would love to make a living at our hobbies but a least around here where we live we have not had much luck at making any money at them. We do the local craft shows and try to sell some of the wife's creations on eBay but most of the time we are lucky to break even on just material cost. People around here like to try and compare what we make to things they can get at wally world for less. Most people these days have no clue the cost of solid wood or the time involved in making a piece of furniture. We give most of what we make away as gifts. My wife and daughter are very crafty and that makes for a real special bond because they spend almost all their free time together making crafts or painting.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Roger, your daughter is very lucky to have such a skilled daddy! She will treasure those gifts her entire lifetime. And I agree with what you say about trying to get a good price when selling your work, sometimes you're lucky if you can just recover the cost of materials. :crazy:

11. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Nice work Beetle, and I know what you mean about people wanting you to price things to compete with the MDF stuff that gets sold nowdays. My response to them is "If you want quality, solid wood, be prepared to pay for it"