Christmas Present Reviews

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    for Christmas i asked for a few sinker molds. I recieved a Hot Pot 2, 10 lbs of basspro lead, two ladles and 3 do-it molds (1/2oz-8oz flat bank). of course first thing i did after i could get free was try it all out. i am new to this, actually today was the first time i have tried it. however i think it went well.

i really like the HOT POT 2, except when pouring the bigger 6 oz/8oz cavities because after 2 pours you have to wait for the next batch of lead to melt down. however it was handy and easy to use. was really nice to keep the lead hot while pouring into the molds with the wind and chilly temps.

the bass pro shop lead was not that impressive however, and from the price i was told it costs ($21 for 5lbs or 10lbs i cant remember, still hi $ to me), i will not be buying more. it also melted down fast, but left a film on top of impurities and for the price it shouldn't be like that.

as for the do-it molds, they were everything i expected them to be. i used pam on the first batch i did, but found it unnecessary in the next few batches.

i also found out quickly how little water it takes to make lead expload. i had been warned by ken to be careful, and i was. however i had been dropping the fresh sinkers into a pale of water. then i would break off the nipples and remelt them. first on i though was dry, however it wasn't dry enough and i got a good little pop. didnt get burned, but it was enough to teach me.

i will be getting some more molds in the future, it is fun and easy to do. i suggest every serious fisherman to do the same. it saves a ton of money and is fairly easy. just takes caution.

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Yeah, its kinda fun and easy, I got a hot pot 2 with some molds last spring, I use old wheel weights, I get em when I go get new tires every couple years, its not pure, but real lead from a dealer was almost 4.oo /lb so I figure lead would be nice but this will work good enough.

I tried makin ingots in a muffin pan, they got stuck in there, so I had to melt em out, I have a lead ladle, that makes pretty good ingots when I clean up the wheel weights.

I like and prefer Do-it molds over some others, and they work great. Congratulations, have a good time with it.

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Congrats Jeremy and Merry Christmas. I got a Do it bank sinker mold for christmas 2-5 oz I already had a C. Palmer electric ladel that holds a pound of melted lead and have 53#'s of lead ignots I bought off of e-bay a few weeks ago so I couldn't wait to try it out myself. Went really well but I learned a few tricks watch close inside the pour hole and when you see it filling up stop and you hardly have any trimming to do from overfilling. I also noticed that they poured alot better after a couple pours when the mold was warmed up itself. I didn't use any pam and had no problems at all maybe just cause it's a new mold though.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jeremy, you'll enjoy this alot. last year i was introduced to sinker makin and really enjoy it. It'll save tons of money and is fun to do in the off time with ya buddies.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Jeremy on your Sinker making Christmas gifts. This will open a new area of fishing preparation for you. Enjoy and start your hunt for lead.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Awesome gift there huh?,.I got a lee bottom pour for christmas today...I already had the molds because i was using a clamp and a chain link fence pose cap and a torch lol...But i was worried it wouldnt pour the bigger sinkers..It poured a 1 pound ingot no problem...but you have to get it hotter...Another tip...This is for any body having trouble making ingots...Use those little stainles steel condiment cups from walmart They are 4 for $1

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    brian i noticed the same thing, and had a problem pouring them at all because it would seal up the pour hole. however i took a propane torch, like the ones a pipe fitter uses to sweat pipe, and heated the mold up just a tad. not long at all, and then they would pour like a dream.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys a tip for ya about the molds. Take a candle and light it, hold the inside of your mold just off the top of a candle flame and let suite build up on all the surface where the lead comes in contact with the mold. This make it much easier to pour lead into and makes them sinkers release much easier from the mold.
    I've been tinkering with lead ,molds and tackle making for years and it's relaxing to say the least. And yeh you save yourself some money while doing something ya enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Congrats Jeremy and Merry Christmas

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, LOL,, when the melted lead get a bit too much moisture in it,,it has a tendency to "unload" the pot...
    After, the excitement of that,,,
    Just take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it off the ceiling, walls, dog, or whatever!!!

11. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Glad you're having fun pouring, but don't understand why you're dropping them in a bucket of water??

Bass Pro lead sucks!!!! For my really large sinkers and jigs I've used tire weight lead, happiley I've never had to pay for lead I've always gotten it for free.
    when you pour keep track of which molds require pure lead and which ones you can use tire weight in. Keep the water away from the molten lead ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the size you're pouring I'd get a bigger pot!!!!! Lee has one called the Magnum melter that does 20 lbs. of lead and you just need to get a good sized ladel.

Have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yeah i have a big ladel, and a turkey fryer, so im going to get an old dutch oven and use that to melt my big bunches... that should do the job good enough...

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeremy I have an 8 or 10" cast iron skillet that will work fine on a turkey fryer. I found it in a garbage pile,but after you melt lead in it it is branded for life anyway. A dutch oven would be a great big pot.:crazy::wink: Long heat up time and heavy to handle.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009