Christmas Poem to share with BOC family

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by punkin570, Nov 12, 2006.

1. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Tanya, your post about Thanksgiving traditions got me to remembering the past. Here is a poem I wrote as part of a Christmas tradition in my dad's family and I would love to share it with all of you. Still brings a tear to my eye to read it. If ya have any questions about it, I would love to hear them.

THE MEMORIES I SHARE

Adult memories fo childhood years; Spending time with family dears.
    Smiles that spread and tears that flow; Oh, how life can take a toll.
    Looking back on the days gone past; Each memory made will forever last.
    Days spent with Pa walking the hillside cold; I can remember many stories told.
    Bus rides taken to a school called Gift; Seems to have given my spirits such a lift.
    A hammock swinging low with kids would fill; When falling to the ground gave all such a thrill.
    Marbles being played under the tall oak tree; Many laughs being shared by my cousins and me.
    Cookouts with family and homemade ice cream; The gatherings of past still seem like a dream.
    Wrestling matches watched in a straight-backed chair; Seasonal changes marked on calendars with care.
    Buses with beds, oh how high we could jump; Laughter and spills from our heads we would bump.
    Locust shells on curtains and rattling paper bags; Life around Pa was never a drag.
    Turkeys as pets and brother so dear; From bus to house he would run with fear.
    On Red we would ride with uncles and aunts; We kids would all play while they looked for plants.
    Respect for nature and others our parents would preach; A lesson passed on to our children we'll teach.
    Our growing family willl gather on every December; A Christmas we'll make to always remember.
    Marriages are made and new babies around; Our family will grow with a leap and a bound.
    Recounting my memories to my children I will; Pictures of my childhood in their minds I will fill.
    The past is now gone and the future is near; But always in my heart, these memories I'll hold dear.
    When my children have children, in my arms I will hold; The past in my mind will never grow old.
    These memories of mine in a box I will place; With a tear in my eye and a smile on my face.
    Each year this gift will be passed from one to another; This year it is mine, next year it's my brothers.
    His duty he will do, for I have done mine; For each year it is opened a new treasure we'll find.
    When tradition comes around and this gift is for you; Reach deep in your thoughts and decide what you'll do.
    As you go through this box and view things with pleasure; Remember, what you add will soon become a treasure.

Leslie Brock
    November, 2001

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's great girl, thanks for sharing such wonderful family memories with us. So, let's hear more about his memory box of yours. Must be kind of like a time capsule of sorts. What type of things do you put in there? :smile2: Oh yeah, I do have one other question. Who was looking for plants, Red or the aunts and uncles?

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    That was very nice and a joy to read! Thank you!

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Nice poem..Thanks.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is very nice thank you for the lift

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for sharing!:smile2:

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    yes tanya, it is a time capsule, passed from one family member to another each year and we all add sometin to it as it goes along. it began with my dad who (as a joke) gave my aunt this small box with a pair of his & hers "electric corncobs" that he made. (ranks up there with the sears and roebucks catalogue pages for outhouse toilet paper)and it grew and traveled along the years. has many things like photos and mementos and such.
    Red is a 1976 Chevy 1 ton truck bought the same year my brother was born. My dad rebuilt the bed and sideplanks. The most reliable vehicle ever made. Every spring when new plants started commin up, we would all load up and ride the back roads and old family house places and get sprouts of different plants to plant in our own yards...this was more of a social gathering and outtings than anything else, but the kids all enjoyed riding in the back of "Red". My dad was truly the backbone of his family...the glue that kept it all together.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey, thanks for clearing that up! I thought Red was a HORSE :big_smile:. Now, about these busses with beds.....my grandad redid an old school bus, which became a camper. Had four twin beds in it, two on either side of the aisle. I don't remember being allowed to jump on 'em though :lol:.

9. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    this is about the same. my dad's dad lived in a hulled out school bus, had full bed in back, fridge, tv, dresser, washpan and stove....basic necessities. lived in our driveway for years then moved to my aunts for years. my cousins and I would jump on the bed often...of course we werent supposed to, but what kid dont like to sneak around and do it anyway...he knew we did it....but didnt act like it...he was too busy "watchin wrestlin on tv". lol

10. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    thanks for sharing that was a good poem