Christmas lights question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AZflats, Dec 6, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'm sure someone knows the answer to this question. That is why I love the BOC....

Q: With regards to the mini indoor/outdoor holiday light strands..
    ~ Why does only halve the strand come on? The fuses are good. There does not seem to be any damaged or missing bulbs... Exactly halve of the bulbs do not come on...:angry::confused2:

~ The packaging claims that the strand will stay on if one is removed or burns out...

* I'm sure this is common, because while I was setting up decorations this past weekend, I found 4-5 different strands with this problem... I even had an issue with a brand new strand right out of the box...

oh well.. anyone?
    ~A

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Umm.. wow.. .that is strange.. :eek:oooh:

Normally when that happens there is a short somewhere along the way. Replacing out the bulb where it dies out usually rectifies the problem... but a rband new box??? That is just... weird.

I really do not have anything to offer up as advice. Sorry bro.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My guess would a bad bulb somewhere in the part of the strand that is not working. I would take them back and before checking out with the new strand plug them in and make sure they work. If not then start with each bulb and replace if it fixes it then you found it LOL

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have had the same problem before, and the only way I found to fix it was to go through one bulb at a time and pull each out and look it over and then put it back. It seemed like the loose bulb/bad connectin shut down part of the strand, even though it will still run with a burned out bulb. Here's the strangest part (at least to me) the problem bulb/connection is not any where in particular relative to what lights are out or on. How is that possible?

The last time it happened to me I got sick of looking for the problem and went to the store and just bought new ones. They are pretty cheap. I hate the whole disposable mentality, though. There's another few hundred feet of wire in a land fill someplace.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks fellas,
    I try checking them tonight...

Apreciate the help!
    ~A

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Made in China. Throw away, buy more. Nuff said.

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Most strands of lights being made these days have fuses at both ends of the strand and each end controls half the strand of lights. Are you checking only one end? I have bought boxes of lights that needed the fuses changed right off the bat....thats why they are cheap, they dont last. If it happens to be a bulb gone bad, usually its either the one in the center (the first unlit one) or the controlling one on the end only on the half of the strand that wont work. If the other half is workin....dont mess with it...if it aint broke..dont fix it. Check to see around the non working end plug, I have seen some that had a slight nick that is a bad bare connection where you can see wires showing. That is a danger...get out the black electrical tape and fix it before you put them up. I hope this helps.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Make sure you wash your hands after you get them up. They makers are having problems with to much lead. Most come with a note telling you to wash hands.
    Bill